From:
Karl Sackett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 May 2004 11:10:20 -0500
On 2004 May 18 at 00:47:21 -0400, Jean Risman wrote:
> I know that several weeks ago some people bought pemmican from Grassland
> beef. I am wondering what people think of it. It seems rather pricey, but I
> am looking for a quick and easy snack food that will travel well. and would
> be willing to pay the price if it fit the bill and tasted good. I know that
> everyone's taste is different, but any comments anyone could make would be
> appreciated.

I received a batch of Grassland pemmican a few days ago.  I'm not
impressed.

The first warning sign was a note of the label telling me to keep the
pemmican frozen.  Now I've stored home-made pemmican that way before
taking it on hikes or camping trips, but I've never had problems storing
it at room temperature.  So I didn't have a problem keeping the Grassland
pemmican in the freezer before hitting the trail.

I took a bar out yesterday, let it warm up, and opened the package.  The
pemmican was soft and had the consistency of shortening or bacon grease.
The taste wasn't too bad, but Grassland's claim of 60% jerky and 40%
tallow tasted nothing like my 50%/50% recipe, and I don't use honey and
dried berries.

I don't know what Grassland mixed with the jerky, but it surely wasn't
tallow.  Their pemmican was very greasy and uniformly grey.  I was
expecting something solid and waxy, like a beef-flavored candle stick
with the tallow retaining most of its white color.

Grassland pemmican is not something I would take on a trip.  It won't
even make it out of the kitchen.

--
Karl Sackett                     K4KRS                    [log in to unmask]

     "I am not allowed to mount a bayonet on a crew-served weapon."
                                               Skippy's List, #101