NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Eric Schlesinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2007 09:38:41 -0500
Mark Feblowitz wrote:
> You don't say what your symptoms are. That could clarify this discussion.

Mild gastro-intestinal upset.  _Not_ full-fledged lactose intolerance
reaction (and believe me, I recognize that in me) but just sort-of the
beginnings of it.

> And let's not forget - skin absorption is not the only route. There's
> also inhalation.

Yeah, I thought (in fact, I think I mentioned) inhalation - I'm severely
LI and even small amounts ingested usually have some affect on me.  On
the bright (for me) side, I'm not (so far) allergic to it - I can eat
things w/ Casein without problems, for example.  I also noticed that in
handling the powder, some probably got onto the counter where we
generally prepare foods - so it's entirely possible that there was some
contamination from that.  We'll be more conscientious about cleaning it
in the future.

> Don't take this too lightly. It's not likely psychosomatic.

Well, most people who know me assume I'm nuts anyway ;-)  But I agree -
I don't think it's psychosomatic and I do think that I just need to be
more careful.

Thanks to both Mark and Steve for their comments.