Date:
Sun, 29 Aug 2004 00:55:33 -0700
Another spin on the topic at hand!

I currently own 2 repeaters myself 441.950mhz with a PL of 103.5 and
224.280mhz with a PL of 123hz.

Interference is the biggest issue with my being in western Washington just
north of Seattle and within easy range of southwestern BC. including
Vancouver BC.

During my coordination process I frustrated the 220mhz coordinator by
insisting that my machines would transmit their own PL tone.  In otherwards,
the controller filters out the received PL which if not filtered and
retransmitted is less than 2 to 300hz of deviation and some decoders can
have a problem decoding.  I transmit the same PL via a encoder on the
transmitter with a higher level of deviation.  The coordinator said "it is
not the norm" my answer, "I don't care, I want the users to be able to
decode, access and enjoy!" This of course frustrated, to no end the
coordinator I was dealing with but hey, If I have to use PL tones for my
machines then I will certainly make it easy for the users whether they be
local or visiting my area to access the machines.  I kind of thought that
was what ham radio was all about wasn't it?  Friendly, helpful and there for
others?  I too am a total but have found a way to deal with the PL tone
thing after moving up here from New Mexico where we didn't have the PL tone
issues.  My answer is it is part of life and we will have to find a way to
deal with it.  remember when computers were all new?

Brian, k5in Everett Washington  oh yes, I am also apart of two other high
level machines and we did the same thing on those with the encoders
transmitting pl's at a level all decoders can detect and decode.