From:
Gary Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 May 2004 19:38:08 -0500
Howard:

I have both the elecraft k2 and the kenwood ts2000.  Both are very
accessible, and both are good cw rigs.
The k2 puts out all its information in cw.  To do this you will have to by
the krc2 and the accessibility firmware.
I know this sounds like a lot of extra money, but with the krc2 you will
also get a great station control box.
Haven't used those functions yet, but I understand they are quite good.
The k2 doesn't support am, or general coverage receive.
But with the sacrifice of those options, you get a superlative receiver,
and portability if you want it.
If I were going to get the amp, I would build it into a separate enclosure,
and get the battery and both automatic tuners.  One goes in the top of the
rig, and is good up to the standard k2 power of 15 watts.  The other is
external, and is rated for the full 100 watts of the amp.
This would give you the flexibility to just unplug a cable, and take the k2
portable.
I have worked all over the world on cw with 5 watts or less, and all over
the u.s. and into canada and mexico with 15 watts ssb.

I suggest that you go to www.elecraft.com and read up on the k2 and its
accessories.

Don't know about the 570 or 870.  I have written a quick guide for the
ts2000 which is available at www.icanworkthisthing.com.  I have also posted
the ts2000 manual there as well.

Good luck, and please feel free to write with questions.