Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Dean Esmay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jul 1997 16:36:43 -0400
>I got in a diet argument
>with a writer who was a runner over high fat diet.  He or some woman
>claimed that ketosis causes liver damage.  I said I would check into it.

Demand references for this sort of thing when you hear it.  I've spent a
year now researching these diets and I have yet to find a single reference
to back up this claim (which I've heard before).

I've researched this and here's what I can say: there is no evidence
whatsoever that ketosis causes liver damage.  There -is- some evidence that
a high-fat, high-protein diet makes both liver and kidneys work harder, and
if you have liver or kidney problems you should be having your creatinine
and BUN levels checked regularly.  In fact getting those checked now and
then is a good thing for anybody.  But since it very much appears that
humans evolved to eat diets with the majority of their calories from
protein and fat, I see no reason to think that there's anything wrong with
making our organs do what they were designed to do.

Low-fat diets make your pancreas and your gall bladder work harder.
Exercising makes your heart, liver, and kidneys all work harder.  Is this a
problem?