THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 2004 14:40:07 EST
From:   Kevran <[log in to unmask]>

>  T3 to T2 and T2 to T1 conversion
> processes.  I'm assuming that there is a T3 to T2 to T1 deiodination
> process, though in lesser quantity and importance.

T4 to T3 conversion is important, and for many Armour Thyroid is an excellent
treatment.  Just be aware that some people do well on Synthroid (or so I've
heard, and some people do switch from Armour to Synthroid.  Of course that
could be because their adrenals need treatment and so they can't take the
additional thyroid efficiency that Armour gives them, one wonders about these things.)
 Some people only do well on pure T3.

In some who take Armour, their conversion of T4 to T3 is so poor, that they
can tolerate a lot of Armour.  What they do is turn the T4 into rT3.  And I
believe that if you have too much rT3, simply having adequate levels of active T3
will not compensate for it and you won't feel well.  One reason for this
conversion problem is high cortisol.

It seems like there may be a T5.   As for T1, the #4,3, or 2 refer to iodine
molecules attached.  Since T1 is only one molecule of iodine, I don't know if
there's a T1 concept.

If you think about eating, and the people who talk about nutrition and "whole
foods" being important, it's a similar concept.  You get all the nutrients
you need from the whole food, so supposedly in unpasteurized milk there's an
enzyme to help you digest the lactose, so many fewer people are intolerant to it.
 Many substances are also found together in food because they work together.
For example, Vitamin C likes those boiflavonoids and Vitamin E.

Taking Armour is similar to a "whole food" concept in the days of the hunter
gatherer.  Native peoples would eat a lot more of the animal than we do,
including the thyroid.  Of course, they had to learn from experience that some
things might kill you if you ate them.  Like the liver from a polar bear, which
has a level of Vitamin A that's toxic to humans.  Imagine that, an animal that
loves the cold needs a tremendous amount of Vitamin A.  Is that to fight
infection, keep the skin nice, or help with the vision?  Anyways, hunters probably
ate thyroid, my suspicion is they knew to limit the amount at a time.  There
have been a few incidents where those making hamburger put ground thyroid in,
and caused people to have hyperthyroid problems.  The hypos among them might
have wondered why they felt good for the first time in years.   Before Christ,
the Chinese had a soup with thyroid ground up in it, for their ailing thyroid
patients.

So, I guess if some moron decides to go to war and diminish the excessive
population, when world war and chaos ensue, along with mass destruction and
there's a world left, in which one can hunt and fish, even if the pharmaceutical
companies are destroyed, unlike people who need Claritin and Prozac to live, we
can get our "meds" directly from the source of that which we hunt.

One other possibility on the T1 concept.  One molecule of iodine, once the
thyroid is saturated with it, will go to the places it's needed for it's other
functions which many don't seem to be aware of.  This includes immunity, so it
goes anywhere there's mucous.  I suspect it fights infection in those places.
And in females, a drop a day of Lugols' Iodine solution in orange juice or
milk (sensitive taste buds, milk covers it better) for a few days may cure a
yeast infection better and quicker than those over the counter expensive
products.

Skipper

 Thyroid messages contain only the opinions of their authors.
 Opinions expressed on Thyroid do not necessarily reflect the
 opinions of the management, publisher, or our advertisers.

 Change your own account here
   http://www.Emissary.Net/Thyroid/index.html

If a question isn't answered on Thyroid, check the Thyroid Archives:
<http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/thyroid.html> and ask again!