Date:
Wed, 21 Jan 2004 15:19:25 -0600

I need some advise from those of you who avoid processed food.  What exactly are your definitions of unprocessed food?  Do you totally eat fresh fruit, vegetables, dairy, and meat, or do you allow some canned items if they contain nothing more than the product itself, water, and perhaps one other ingredient (gluten free, of course) to "preserve freshness"?

Do you eat pastas and allowable grains from well-known gluten-free companies, or do you stay with the wild rice and rice staples and avoid trying to make breads and desserts with gluten-free flours?

I seem to be exceptionally sensitive.  I never eat out.  I've given up on many items some claim to be gluten free because I have immediate and long-lasting reactions.  I could obviously cut back to the totally fresh idea detailed above, but would like the convenience and cost cutting benefits of some processed foods.  I also miss bacon and ham.  Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Tammy

P.S.  Right now my "processed" foods are:  Lundberg Farms rice cakes (not flavored), Hy-Vee catsup, Nestle chocolate chips, Carnation Rich Chocolate cocoa mix,  tamari,  Bush's canned beans with onion, other canned beans containing the product, water, and a preservative, Chicken of the Sea albacore tuna, EnerG tapioca bread, EnerG crackers, Jell-O brand gelatin, frozen vegetables, instant coffee, and an occasional bag of Terra vegetable chips.