From:
Diane Hosek <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Diane Hosek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 2004 15:45:15 -0500

After reading a post about Que Pasa corn chips being made in a completely GF facility, I went to their website and saw that they make some products with flour tortillas.  I called for clarification and talked to Angela, their Quality Assurance person.  She was aware of the previous phone call from someone on the list and she felt that that person had been given some incorrect information.

First of all, they make their prepared products, including those with flour tortillas, in the same building as the corn chips, but in a well-separated area with different personnel working in each area.

She also said that the seasoning on their chips comes from a manufacturer that does run gluten-containing products on the same equipment (after the usual cleaning), and that Que Pasa then processes their plain salted corn chips on the same equipment as the seasoned chips (also after cleaning).  So there IS some chance of cross-contamination.  She said that she would not recommend the seasoned chips for a GF diet.  These are not available in the US now anyway, but will be in the future.  She personally felt that the salted chips would be safe.  Perhaps they are less likely to be contaminated that Frito-Lay, but I can't say for sure.