EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David Poehlman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Equal Access to Software & Information <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2007 14:11:11 -0500
ah, but we are seeking software testing tools.
On Jan 18, 2007, at 2:05 PM, Richard Jones wrote:

Dear EASI,

I had hope someone else would respond,  but here goes.

The attempt to use Microsoft (LOL) or any vendor for Section 508
standards is inappropriate.   The standards for all levels of
accommodation can be found at http://www.w3.org/WAI/, the World Wide Web
Consortium, Web Accessibility Initiative.  They are the ones who created
the basis for all standards and are continuing to work on standards.
This site has a list the standards and a long list of evaluation tools.
Many of the tools work for Section 508 ( federal government legislation
that has been adopted by many states) as well W3C Priority 1, 2 and 3.

Sec 508:

Web site for section 508,
http://www.section508.gov/index.cfm?FuseAction=Content&ID=8   from the
government also list tools to assist in the analysis of web pages for
accessibility. However, the guidelines in Section 508 and Priority 1, 2
and 3 for the development of accessible web pages are extremely
important to understand before the programmers create the pages.
Everyone who intends to evaluate web pages must understand the
accessibility guidelines before they use the evaluation software.   No
software can evaluate several of the guidelines for web page
accessibility.   Software will tell you if the codes seem to be in place
to provide a means for accessibility.  But no software, that I am away
of, can tell you if a web page is organized efficiently or if the Alt
Tags  are meaningful.  You should try as many  software packages as
possible and see what works for your site and programmers.

Richard Jones

Assistant Director

Educational Development

Disability Resource Center