Date:
Thu, 6 May 2004 23:17:20 EDT

Why we need to work to get the Allergen labeling law passed…NOW!

Currently, labeling for gluten content is meaningless because there is NO
definition/standards for gluten-free.

Voluntary labeling is NOT enough...

H.R.3684/Food Allergen Labeling Bill would DEFINE "Gluten-free"

This would...
-- Give manufacturers guidelines for determining if products are
'gluten-free.'
-- Require that wheat/gluten used indirectly, but not as an actual
ingredient, be identified.
-- Assess the risk of contamination in the manufacturing environment and
standardize labeling of it.
-- Could provide penalties for labeling food as 'gluten-free' when it is not.
-- Eliminate vague terms that hide both unsafe AND safe ingredients.
-- Provide restaurant with more complete ingredient information, making
dining out easier.
-- Benefit lots of people with food allergies, not just those with gluten
intolerance.
-- Increase celiac awareness and the need to fund research on the condition.

Sections 3, 4 & 6 of the bill are most beneficial to celiacs & won't get done
is labeling is voluntary.  (Find a copy of the bill at http://thomas.loc.gov/
 Type in either the bill # or "Allegen.")

The timing is RIGHT!  The food manufacturers will save $$ if they can add
allergen labeling at the same time the new requirements for labeling fats go into
effect--One redesign for two changes saves $$. (The recent additions of
allergen labeling on many products is a good sign that manufacturers are not
fighting the passage of the bill at this time, OR they are hoping that we will be
happy with voluntary labeling....)  Later, when it will cost them more $$ for an
additional label redo, they might not be as agreeable.

As of today, there are 48 co-sponsors for the Bill. We don't have times for a
debate of this Bill on the House floor...They have more important things to
consider. It's up to us to makes our representatives aware of the bill & it's
importance.  Without enough co-sponsors, it won't even need a vote.  Because
the Bill is identical to the Senate's version, there willl be no changes or
hassles later.

 The USDA did a big fix of their labeling in the early 1990s and elimated
terms that hid ingredients, including gluten.  There have been 3 attempts by
celiacs and other to get better labeling from the FDA since early 1980s. With the
Senate Bill passed, we are half way there.  Let's not lose our best chance.

Time is Running out on this session...Probably about 9 real working weeks
left...

Contact your representative and ask him/her to co-sponsor H.R.3684.

Find a list of cosponsors online at the ACFT
site...http://capwiz.com/celiac/home/

Bev Lieven
Milwaukee Celiac-Sprue Crew