Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Suzanne Rampton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 13:48:12 -0500

I recently saw a review for these two (new?) books.  Has anyone
gotten them?  What do you think?  Will summarize if I get any

NOTE: these are not my reviews -- they are from the article I saw.

--> "Gluten-Free for a Healthy Life" by Kimberly A. Tessmer (New Page
Books, $13.99, 191 pages)

This book is filled with valuable advice, plus about 40 recipes, for
those suffering from celiac disease and other gluten-related
disorders.

Celiac disease is a genetic disorder in which the body cannot
tolerate gliadin - the protein component of gluten, which is found in
grains, including wheat, barley, rye and oats. The gliadin damages
the small intestine so that all nutrients - not just those from the
offending food - are not absorbed.

The author, a registered dietitian, explains the symptoms of celiac
disease and how to follow a gluten-free diet. She gives acceptable
substitutions (if a recipe calls for 1 tablespoon of wheat flour for
thickening, use ? tablespoon cornstarch), instructions on reading
food labels, and tips for the gluten-free baker and cook. She also
explains how to use the different kinds of gluten-free flours.
Recipes include pizza crusts, pie crust, banana nut bread and
brownies, as well as main dishes. The book lists cookbooks and other
helpful resources, including Web sites and support groups.

--> "125 Best Gluten-Free Recipes" by Donna Washburn and Heather Butt
(Robert Rose, $18.95, 192 pages)

The authors tested hundreds of dishes, culling the best for this
book. The easy-to-follow recipes, with tips and variations, include
appetizers, main dishes, breads (made in a bread machine or electric
mixer) and desserts. Bread recipes include plain white and brown
bread as well as Cheese Onion Loaf, Tomato Rosemary Bread and Cottage
Cheese Dill Loaf.

Other tasty-sounding recipes include Broccoli-Cheddar Cornbread,
Crispy Cheese Crackers, Barbecued Pork Sandwiches, Cranberry Orange
Muffins, Lemon Sponge Pudding and Peanut Butter Cookies.