Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Sylvia Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Apr 2004 19:29:12 -0400
7bit

I know going away to college can be a huge issue when living with
celiac disease so I wanted to share my very positive experience.  I was
diagnosed with Celiac Disease right before my last semester of college
at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor.  Being a Resident Advisor I
was still living in the residence halls.  I was worried about having to
deal with the diet change while eating in the cafeteria.  I contacted
the campus dietician about my concern and she informed me that Mary
Markley Hall, the residence hall I lived in, had been deemed the gluten
free residence on campus.  This meant that everyone that had mentioned
they had celiac disease had been placed to live there.  The dietician
gave me a list of everything that was confirmed gluten free in the
cafeteria.  In addition I got to meet the head chef and his staff.
They ordered special gluten free products for us use in the dining hall
and set aside a special place where the gluten free items could be
found and we could leave our own products there too.  They were very
knowledgeable about cross contamination and provided condiments that
only we could use as well as a toaster.  At the regular entree line
they always had a list of ingredients on hand so I could double check
what was in the stuff I was eating.  In addition they always had some
rice pasta ready for anyone that wanted it.  Also Sam one of the chefs
loved making up special dishes for us.  If I called down before I came
or decided when I got there that I didn't want the stuff that was
gluten free he'd cook me up a special meal.  After 4 years of dorm food
it was awesome to basically have my own personal chef.  I loved it!  In
fact my nonGF friends were jealous and would ask me to go up for
seconds of my food for them because it was so good.  Another really
cool aspect was that because all the gf kids were in the same building
we had a community to talk to about gf issues and share tips with each
other.  Overall I had a great experience with it.   Let me know if you
would like more information.  Hope this was helpful!
Sylvia