GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
baboucarr Sey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Mar 2004 05:52:07 -0800
No no mr. Jarju I completely disagree with on this point.
Cheers
Mbye Sey

Alfa Jarju <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
What majority of Muslims fail to understand concerning the issue of
Polygamy is the definition of EQUALITY IN LOVE. There is no where in the
Quran or Hadith which stated that those who are practicing should love the
said wives equally. It will be excellent if one can do that. The Love
comes from Allah and it is some thing natural. What is important here is
the distribution of wealth and application of fairness or justice among the
wives. One may argues that if you love wife A, there is likely that you
would give her preferential treatment. This is not the case, the element
of that portion is what Allah has given you as a trial. As a Muslim, your
number one duty is not no be carried away by once desire.

If you look at the verse stating about marring, one may tend to believe
that God is asking us to marry more than one wife. For example, the actual
counting in the Quran starts not in one BUT two “ Marry two, or three, or
four” But if you think you would find it difficult to practice fairness,
marry just one. I know Baba Galleh Jallow would laugh at this statement
but it is fact.

By looking at the above statement, one may tend to believe that Allah wants
us to marry more than one wife. Why? Because God is asking us if we cannot
practice fairness and one of the fundamental principles of Islam is
fairness. If God tells you, ok since you cannot practice fairness just
stop at one means if you cannot be a good Muslim, try and marry only one
because you cannot control your desire.

The beauty of this verse is that, Allah knows that there would be a time
when the ratio of women would really out number men on this planet.

Ndeye, if you see any nice lady in Ghana, pls call my attention. I want to
marry second wife. It is intersting to notice that "Alieus" are very much
concernd about this topic (laugh).

Alh. Alieu.

Quoting "Alieu S.K Cham" :