GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Ceesay, Soffie" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 2004 05:42:24 -0800
This institution has been so perverted, to the point, that I continually
question it's "natural-ness" :-).  Some sisters actually consider taking
their own lives than to leave the situation because of what people will say.
Those who remain and endure in front of and because of the kids, are
diminished - the children end up hating them for allowing it to happen and
powerless at the same time because they cannot help their mother.

A dimension to spousal abuse which I find myself constantly challenging some
of these women on is their sense of self.  The verbal abuse which often
times accompanies the physical abuse is more damaging and lasts far much
longer.  The sisters start owning these demeaning descriptions - I'm having
none of that with them!  I have my own insecurities and God knows I do not
need my significant other telling me how stupid or local I am after beating
the hell out of me.  Yes, the struggle continues!

I've thought a lot about why some women do not leave abusive relationships.
When "I" left my mother's house, where my three sisters and "I" slept on one
bed or on the floor, coming back with 2 more bodies to that same milieu
creates more hardship and carries a social stigma.  Add to that my uncle who
gave me away telling me "munyal, sa dorm yi nyoi barkeh".  If this were
true, why are so many of us suffering/struggling when we know and have seen
how our parents suffered in their marriages. I pointed out this paradox to
some elders and all they could do was agree.  All of Gambia's children
should be successful because our parents did "saye"!

Knowledge and the ability to do for one-self, supported by legislation is
the key.  We have to work on enforceable legislation.  Couple this with
knowledge about our rights in tandem with programs for economic empowerment
and we have a chance at sustainable development.  What do you think?

Soffie