GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Nov 2003 19:56:34 EST
This is not intended to be a debate.
It is my attempt to clarify the misconceptions and share knowledge about the
deen with my fellow muslims and to provide information and educate the
non-muslims about our religion.

So please sit back and allow me to share this information in its' entirety. i
think you will find it  both interesting and informative if you care to
follow it.
If you do not care to follow it, then please feel free to delete it.
Thank you.

I had started this series sometime ago and unfortunately, time did not allow
me to finish it. I intend to do so now inshallah.
I will start be reposting the parts that i had already completed, to be
followed by the rest inshallah.

There are a lot of misconceptions about Islam, especially in these times, and
the purpose of this series is to share with my fellow muslims education about
the deen that will increase our understanding of the religion as well as
perhaps answer at least some of the questions we may have about the deen, as well
as to inform non-muslims regarding our religion, and to tell them what exactly
is in the Qur'an

. Since the tragedy of September 11th, i have seen a lot TV shows, newspaper
reports etc all intended to tell people about Islam, but somehow, they seem to
skirt the main issues regarding the reason for the existance of many
religions as explained by the Qur'an, and to provide information that documents the
relationship of the three main religions, Islam, Christianity and Judaism as
explained by the Qur'an, and the Sunnah of Rasullullah.

I think that perhaps people skirt the issue because they feel they will
offend others if they relay what the Qur'an says about other religions, but i think
it is absolutely essential to relay everything so people know what this deen
is about and to at least have the facts.

From the teachings of the Qur'an and Sunnah, we understand that religion and
the worship of Allah is not supposed to be compartmentalized into different
religions, each with their own. Rather, there is an unboken line of prophets all
sent to their respective peoples since the creation of Prophet Adam, and
their message was supposed to be a continuation, one to the other until the final
message brought by Muhammad Bin Abdullah (SAS) the seal of the prophets and
the final messenger of Allah whom he sent to ALL to mankind.

"For we assuredly sent amongst every people a prophet, ( with command)
worship me and avoid false gods"
(Soorah Al-Nahl 16:36)

The Prophet (SAS) said that his prophethood is akin to someone who built a
beautiful building, and the only thing left to secure the building was a small
brick in the corner. He said he is that final brick, sent to cement alL the
messages brought to mankind through all of the messengers, and his message was
the one in which Allah perfected his religion for all of mankind. His advent was
foretold in the Taura (Torah) as given to Moses and in the Gospel of Prophet
Essa (Jesus the son of Mary) and that it is the ommission of some of the
information in these messages books that has resulted in three religions and not
one.( but we will address this issue later in this series)

 Speaking to mankind in the Qur'an Allah (SWT) says:

"This is the Book whereof there is no doubt, guidance for those who fear
Allah" (Soorah Al-Baqara 2:2)

"This day have I perfected your religion for you, completed my favour upon
you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion"
(Soorah Al-Maa'ida, 5:3)

"If anyone desires a religion other than Islam ( submission to Allah (God)
never will it be accepted of him."
 (Soorah Aal'Imraan 3:85)

Foremost among those who have studied the Qur'an and Sunnah and have gained
understanding from them to pass on to the rest of the Islamic ummah is a
Pakistani scholar by the name of Syed Abul A'Ala Mawdudi. From January to March of
1948, Mawdudi gave a series of five radio talks in which he described different
aspects of the Islamic way of life.

The original address was in Urdu, and was translated into English by
Professor Kurshid Ahmad of Pakistan, with a revised edition by the Center for Call and
Guidance under the supervision of the Presidency of Islamic Research IFTA and
Propagation, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.

To begin this series, I have chosen this work by Mawdudi to present in it's
entirety first beause it presents better than any other work i have seen, the
concept of what islam is, and man's relationship to God.

 After this, inshallah, we will proceed to discuss other religions, the
reason Islam, Christianity and Judaism are three separate religions and not one. We
will also discuss Christ the son of Mary ( may the peace and blessing of
Allah be upon him) in the Qur'an and  the Torah, and his unlatered Gospel as
documented by one of his disciples, Barnabas, in "The Godpel of Barnabas".

Bismillah. Wasalatu wasalaam, ala Rasulill kareem, wa Allah Alihi, wa
sahbihi, minastanabi Sunnahti eela yamideen. (May the peace and blessing of Allah be
upon the Prophet, his household and his companions, and whoever follows his
Sunnah until the day of judgement)
I pray that Allah (SWT) increases in Imaan all those who seek his guidance
Ameen.

ISLAMIC CONCEPT OF LIFE

The chief characteristic of the Islamic Concept of Life is that it does not
admit a conflict, nay, not even a significant separation between life-spiritual
and life-mundane. It does not confine itself merely in purifying the
spiritual and the moral life of man in the limited sense of th e word. Its domain
extends to the entire gamut of life. It wants to mould individual life as well as
the social order in healthy patterns, so that the Kingdom of God may really be
established on the earth and so that peace, contentment and well-being may
fill the world as waters fill the oceans. The Islamic Way of Life is based on
this unique approach to life and a peculiar concept of man’s place in the
Universe. That is why it is n ecessary that before we proceed to discuss the
moral, social, political and economic systems of Islam, we should have a clear
idea of the Islamic Concept of Life . There are certain basic postulates which
should be understood and appreciated at the very outset. These postulates are as
follows:

 BASIC POSTULATE

1. Allah Who is the Creator, the Ruler and the Lord of the entire Universe
has created man and provided him with temporary station in that par t of His
vast kingdom(cosmos) which is known as the earth. He has endowed man with the
faculties of thinking and understanding, and has given him the powe r to
distinguish right from wrong. Man has also been invested with freedom of will and
choice and the power to use the resources of the world in any manne r he likes. In
short, man has been given a sort of autonomy while being appointed by God on
earth as a successor to the beings that had previously populated it.

2. Before assigning to man the inheritance of the earth, God made it
explicitly clear to him that He alone is the Lord, the Ruler and Deity. As such, the
entire Universe and all the creatures in it(including man) must submit to Him
alone. Man must not think himself totally free and should know that this earth
is not his permanent abode. He has been made to live upon it only during the
period of his probation, and in due course, he will return t o his Lord, to be
judged according to the way he has utilized the period of probation. The only
right course for man is acknowledge Allah as the only Lord, the Sustainer and
the Deity and to follow His Guidance and His Commands in all walks of life.
Man must live this life with the realization that he is to be judged and his
sole objective should be to merit the pleasure of Allah so as to emerge succesful
in the final test. Conduct which is contrary to this would lead man astray.
If, man follows the course of piety and Godliness(which he is free to choose
and follow) he will succeed in this world and in the next: in this world he will
live a life of peace and contentment, and in the Hereafter he will qualify
himself for the heaven of eternal bliss; al-Jannah. And if, he chooses to follow
the other course, i.e , that of Godlessness and evil(which he is equally free
to choose and follow) his life will be one of corruption, disruption and
frustration in this world and he will meet colossal misfortune in the life to come
- that abode of pai n and misery which is called Jahannam(Hell).

3. After administering this warning, God set man upon the earth and provided
the very first human beings(Adam* and Eve) with His Guidance in accordance
with which men were to live on the earth. Thus, man's life on this earth did not
begin in utter darkness. The very first man was provided with a burning torch
of light and guidance so that humanity might attain its glorious destiny. The
very first man received revealed knowledge from God Himself. He had knowledge
of the reality and was given the code of life by following which he could live
a life of bliss and success. This code of life was Islam, the attitude of
complete submission to Allah, the Creator of man and of the whole universe. It
was this religion which Adam, the first man, passed down to posterity. But later
generations gradually drifted away from the right path and adopted different
erroneous paths. Because of negligence, they lost the original teachings, or
due to folly or mischief they adulterated and perverted them. They associated
with God innumerable human beings, non-human objects and imaginary entities as
deities and indulged in Shirk(polytheism) of the worst type. They mixed up the
pure teachings of God with strange myths, ideas and philosophies and thus
produced a jungle of religions and cults. They discarded the God-given principles
of social ethics and collective morality, the Shariah, and deprived the human
life of peace and tranquility.

 * According to Islam Adam was the first prophet of Allah on earth.

4. Although men departed from the path of truth, disregarded and distorted
the Shariah, and some of them even revolted against the code of Divine Guidance,
yet God did not destroy them or force them to the right course. Forced
conversion to the right path was not in keeping with the autonomy He had given to
man. Instead, God appointed certain virtuous persons from amongst the people
themselves, to discharge the responsibility of recalling and guiding men to the
right path during their sojourn on the earth. These men believed in God, and
lived a life of obedience to Him. He honored them by His revelations and gave
them the knowledge of reality. These men, known as prophets(peace be upon all of
them), were assigned the task of presenting the message of truth to humanity
and of asking the people to come to the path of the Lord.

5. These prophets were raised in all epochs, in all lands and in all nations.
Out of numerous prophets sent by God, the Qur'an explicitly mentions twenty
five. All of them brought the same way of life(Deen) i.e., the way which was
revealed to man on the first day of his existence. All of them followed the same
guidance: the guidance which was prescribed by the Lord for man at the outset
of his career on the earth. All of them stood for the same mission: they
called men to the religion of Islam, asked those who accepted the Divine Guidance
to live in accordance with it: and organized them into a movement for the
establishment of the Divine Law, and for putting an end to all deviations from he
Right Path. Every prophet tried to fulfill this mission in the best possible
way. But quite a number of people never accepte d this guidance and many of
those who accepted it gradually drifted astray and , after a lapse of time, lost
the guidance or distorted it through innovations and perversions.

6. At last, God raised Prophet Muhammad(peace be upon him) in the land of
Arabia and assigned to him the completion of the mission for which earlie r
prophets were ordained. The message of Muhammad(peace be upon him) was for the
whole of mankind. He presented anew the teachings of Islam, by calling mankind to
the path of righteousness and with establishing the supremacy of the word of
God on the earth. This guidance is enshrined in the Holy Qur'an which
constitutes the only right code of conduct for mankind*

* Tafheem al-Qur'an , Vol. I, pp.16-19

END PART 1

Inshallah, in part 2, we will continue with Mawdudi's narration of : IMAAN,
(faith) IN ISLAM, IT'S NATURE AND CHARACTER.

 Jabou N.Joh