ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peggy Kern <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jan 2004 21:30:20 -0800
Well, Lelia, I don't know if it need be that scary.  If we remember that
banks and internet providers, etc., aren't going to ask for confidential
information to be either sent by email or via a website we click on via
email, we can just laugh and delete the message.  I've gotten several of
this type of message within the past week or two.  I think the funniest one
was one supposedly from Earthlink, telling me my password had been
compromised and to go to their site by following the link in the email, and
enter my password or my account information or something.  I knew it was a
fraud already, because Earthlink doesn't ask us to do things like this, but
I looked at the headers.  The reply to address was something like
[log in to unmask]  <lol>  Yeah, right!  Earlier I got one saying
that our Citybank information had been compromised and we should
immediately go to the website and enter all sorts of information.  The
delete key did the trick.  Let's see, what was the one I got yesterday?  Oh
yeah, something about my payment to Earthlink hadn't been received, and I
should click on the link immediately and update my info with them, and if
they didn't receive it in 24 hours, they'd regretfully have to terminate my
account.  Delete.  <grin>  What's really amusing is when they send this
same message to my additional email addresses, as though they were separate
accounts.  I think they try to play on people's fear and knee-jerk
reactions, knowing that if they can get people to act without thinking,
they can get all kinds of information out of them.  Unfortunately, the
tactic must be working, as they keep doing it.

Peggy

At 06:13 PM 1/22/2004 -0700, you wrote:
>Whoah thats kind of scary.
>
>Lelia