ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 3 Jan 2004 12:50:29 -0500
Hey, Kathy

The book seemed to be a good thing to some folks.  My problems with it were
that it is very selective in using translations.  That is, it will pick and
choose specific translations to make a specific point he already had in mind
whether that is really what the verse says or not.  He makes
generalizations, too, that aren't necessarily true and makes a big point out
of those points which he says are truths when they may not be at all, just
his opinion on his carefully chosen interpretation.  Finally, the same
problem I have with any of this trend of Yuppie type books and studies.
They find a gimmick and build a whole industry around it.  The
Purpose-Driven Life, the Purpose-Driven Church, the Purpose-Driven
Workbooks, the PDL Bibles, the PDL calendars, lunch bags, neck ties, secret
decoder rings.  It all becomes a marketing gimmick that, in my opinion,
dishonors the LORD in the end in an attempt to make money.  There might be a
kernel of truth in the idea and that idea may be valid (discovering that
Life "isn't about you" and the purpose why the LORD has you remain on earth
after salvation).  But I think you can get that point just as easily, after
all is said and done, from doing a Bible study on your own on the will of
GOD.

Paul