ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 23 Dec 2003 19:17:11 -0600
Ok, I don't really have a most memorable christmas.
Here's what memories I do have, and count yourselves lucky that I can
remember anyway.
Just a tad scatter brained and been up to my ankles in cheese today.
When I was a small kid I usually got a bigwheel for christmas each year,
from Santaclaws, who, as it turns out, was my cousin who was in his 20's or
30's then.
I remember one in particular because it must have been my last christmas to
have sight.
We lived on 3 akers of land which had on it, a creek, which usually staid
dry, and there was this wooden bridge which you walked up on and over to get
to our pond which usually was never dry.
The pond was very old as an 80 or 90 year old man who lived in the area told
us once that they used to swim their as kids and brought their sweethearts
their later on.
Well, the year I am remembering was special because it snowed and when I
woke up and looked out, my santaclaws bigwheel was sitting on top of the
snow covered bridge over the creek.
That picture sticks in my mind.
I don't have any real memberable adult christmases yet but perhaps as
Katherine is growing up we will make some memories.
I remember that pond freezing over and us standing on it as well.
My mom and I stood on it as she beat on it with a metal rod once which, in
looking back wasn't the smartest thing to do, but it was frozen solid
thankfully.
I also remember one christmas in the hospital as a kid when they had an old
man with a real beard playing santa.
That was cool for me, because I had recently lost my sight and I could tell
that the beard was real so I figured he was real.
I don't know if that is when the electricity went out in the hospital and
they had to stand sholder to sholder in the stairwells and hand up traies of
food for us.  That was a neat time though as well.
All of the nurses and staff members working together like that.

Take Care,

Matt