C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Mon, 8 Sep 2003 15:28:14 -0600
Michael,

Let me echo the congrats...

ZThe hardworking spouse suggestion is good, but not always possible.
Since Janet and I both have disabilities that prevent us from doing
certain things around our house, we've come up with several
"work-arounds"...  We've identified friends with teenage kids who are
either looking for extra money, or are just looking for something to do
to stay out of trouble.  Since neither of us can climb on ladders, we
talk Adam, a friend/neighbors kid into changing light bulbs and smoke
detector batteries.  He does that for free, and he mows our lawn in the
summer and shovels walks in the winter for a fee, which is less than any
of the lawn services in town charge.

I agree with the suggestion of making accessibility modifications now...
It'll probably be easier to finance them (if necessary) when you finance
the house, and I doubt interest rates will go anywhere but up from where
they are now.  The house Janet and I found was designed by a guy who
used a power chair, so it was almost perfect for us.  I hope something
similar happened for you, but I've yet to see lightning strike twice...

Kendall