VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Oct 2005 21:10:10 -0500
Scott,

when the topic of Internet banks has arisen in this forum, list members
found the lack of talking ATM's in their networks and no physical presence
to be limiters of value not offset by the slightly higher rates.  This is in
addition to websites that are noticeably less blind friendly than many
physical bank websites, even those banks not approached by the blind
community regarding banking access.

Instead, the mix of access, high value products, and good financial services
has been found at discount brokers.  Many discount brokers have accounts
that resemble bank accounts, with demand deposits, interest earned on
deposits, unlimited checkwriting, and ATM/debit cards.  In the last few
weeks, fidelity Investments dropped its account maintenance fee for small
accounts.  Staying with fidelity for our example, demand deposits can remain
in a core account tax free money market fund paying 2.28 percent, which is a
taxable 3.04 percent for those in the 25 percent tax bracket.  the Fidelity
U.S. Government Reserves taxable money market fund currently pays 3.5
percent, which is greater than the rate current offered by ING Direct.  Most
discount brokers offer limited ATM use before fees start to pile up.
fidelity for example allows five fee free ATM/debit card  transactions.  it
does not refund ATM surcharges.  This summer Schwab rolled out a new account
that refunds upwards of 20 or so ATM transaction surcharges a month.  The
brokerage accounts can be linked to a bank account so cash can be obtained
from an accessible talking ATM network like Wachovia, Bank of America,
Chase, Wells Fargo, and others.  Blind people use the fidelity and Schwab
websites and for the most part have few problems.

In summary, a discount brokerage account linked with a small account at a
physical bank offering accessible services to the blind has been a solution
that marries both value, superior products, and extraordinary access.

Kelly