VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Aman Singer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Aman Singer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2005 00:23:05 -0500
Hi.
        Unfortunately, the Ipod isn't very accessible. All the buttons on
The newer units are touch-sensitive, and provide no tactile feedback. This
might
not be insurmountable, but the unit will not speak. Further, the
software used to transfer files to the unit isn't very accessible. According
to a user who won one (her message
is included below), you'll have to get another, third party, software
package to load files on the machine accessibly. There are better and more
accessible players. If accessibility is important to you, and you want to
play only MP3 files, try some of the units from Archos. These units, with
the help of an alternative firmware called Rockbox
        http://www.rockbox.org
        speak their menus, as well as spelling file names and speaking the
names of folders. They're the most accessible HD based MP3 players out
there. The problem with them is that they  cannot now be obtained new, but
must be gotten off Ebay or from other users. They're about $100-250 on Ebay.
        If you want to play more formats, like OGG and WMA, your best bet is
to go with one of the Iriver units
        http://www.iriveramerica.com
        which, though they do not speak their menus or file/folder names,
are good players and will play more formats than the Archos units. These
units are available in stores, though you will probably pay more than you
will if you get an Archos unit. Both units come in the same capacities as
the Ipod and, as a side benefit, are usually far cheaper.
        It should be noted that Apple has just released a flash memory based
Ipod called the Ipod Shuffle. This unit has no display, and I have yet to
hear of any user experiences with the unit.
        HTH
        Aman