VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Nov 2004 20:26:34 -0600
    Audible traffic signals have hit the Chicago area. In addition to
helping the blind, the manufacturer has created a new disability, the
attention impaired, as a marketing approach as evinced in this comment:

    ". . .they are also another level of attention-getting for other
pedestrians."

    Kelly

    Chicago Sun-Times

    Sunday, November 21, 2004

    You talkin' to me? Crosswalk gives orders

    By ZAY N. SMITH

    Sun-Times Columnist

    It was at the corner of Harlem and Madison in Oak Park.

    No one was around.

    Then a voice came.

    It seemed to come from nowhere.

    "Madison. The walk sign is on for Madison."

    Turned around. Looked. No one there.

    Then a voice came.

    "Nineteen seconds . . . 18 seconds . . . 17 seconds . . . 16 seconds.
. . ."

    So it is happening again.

    You go to a public washroom and are faced with a urinal that has
flashing lights and a voice pitching you a cold beer.

    You park your car in a public garage and a voice follows you from your
car to the elevator, down the elevator, through the lobby and out the
door, reminding you, over and over, to take your ticket, please, as you
may not pay at the exit.

    And now you are out for a walk on a quiet Indian summer day, alone
with your thoughts and yourself, and. . . .

    "Wait to cross Harlem at Madison. . . ."

    A call was placed.

    "Village of Oak Park."

    One of your crosswalks is talking to people.

    "Really? I've never heard of that. Let me connect you to the village
engineer."

    Thank you.

    "Jim Budrick."

    One of your crosswalks is talking to people.

    "Yes, I know. But we didn't do it."

    Who is doing it?

    "IDOT. They initialized it two weeks ago, along Madison Street. It's a
very interesting test they're running -- one we're happy to see."

    A call was placed.

    "Illinois Department of Transportation."

    Traffic signals, please.

    "Steve Travia."

    Some of your crosswalks are talking to people.

    "You are talking about audible pedestrian signals."

    Yes. They are talking to people.

    "We've put three in so far --along Madison at Harlem, 1st Avenue and
Des Plaines Avenue. The response has been positive."

    You are testing them.

    "They're primarily for the visually impaired. But they also help other
pedestrians gauge an intersection."

    And there will be more of them.

    "We're still testing them. It depends on how well they perform and how
they are received by a community."

    How much does it cost to have a crosswalk talk to people?

    "Well. By the time we were done buying the equipment and dealing with
the electrical installations, it came to about $14,000 an intersection."

    Modern technology can be pricey.

    "But if you put it in context, just the traffic lights for a standard
intersection could run you $150,000 or more."

    A call was placed.

    "Thank you for calling Polara Engineering."

    You manufacture crosswalks that talk to people. Is there someone who
can talk about them?

    "One moment."

    Thank you.

    "Barry Matas."

    You manufacture talking crosswalks in Fullerton, Calif. How many of
them have you sent out across this country so far?

    "Hundreds of them. They are being tried out in dozens of cities now."

    And these help the visually impaired.

    "Yes. But they are also another level of attention-getting for other
pedestrians."

    So they are for the attention impaired, as well.

    "We have a letter from one of our distributors saying he likes them
because people who won't pay attention to the sign still get the message."

    And how are they triggered?

    "They are actuated by a button. Or they can be set to go off whenever
the walk sign changes."

    So they can narrate the intersection day and night.

    "Yes."

    And we will be seeing and hearing more and more of these?

    "I think I can see the day when every intersection with crosswalk
signs will have crosswalks that talk to you."

    Thank you.

    "You're welcome."

    These are the times we live in.

    If you are a person who likes to talk to yourself, you have to get in
line.

    http://www.suntimes.com/output/lifestyles/cst-nws-zay21.html