VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
George Cassell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
George Cassell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 2004 14:32:54 -0700
Blind pastor inspires students
Alan Van Ormer
For the Argus Leader (South Dakota)

published: 9/5/2004

DSU academic counselor helps keep focus on what's important

Mona Singer gives Keith Bundy credit for helping her finish college and go
on to graduate school.

In 2001, she was almost kicked out of Dakota State University because
personal problems were affecting her work.

But Bundy saw her potential, even though he couldn't see her.

Bundy is blind.

As director of student development at DSU for the past five years, Bundy
provides academic and personal counseling. He also
is an ordained minister at the Church of the Nazarene in Madison, where he
has been pastor for 15 years. It was through
counseling sessions that he met Singer.

"I began to stop going to classes and had the feeling that nothing really
mattered any more," said Singer, 40. "I was to the
point of self-destruction at the academic level when thankfully I was placed
on financial aid probation and had to begin
academic counseling."

With Bundy's help, Singer made the Dean's List once and nearly made it a
second time.

"Keith is a great inspiration to many," said Erik Miller, who works with
Bundy, who is 47. "Keith has a way of winning people
over. His sense of humor. His genuine care and concern for people. His
openness. If it wasn't for the cane and dog at his
side, you really wouldn't know he's been blind since birth."

Bundy first realized he was blind after learning how to read. He grabbed a
book from his father's chair and remembers telling
his mother, "Mom, how can dad read a book when there is nothing on the
page?"

"That is when it first hit," Bundy said. "You know it wasn't really a
terrible thing. I think what happens is that those who
lose their sight later in life, it is one of those tragic things that can
happen. But for me, I was born that way. Hey, this
is just the way it is. It never bothered me a lot."

He admits he sometimes feels sorry for himself but tries to maintain a
positive attitude.

One of his toughest times was when one of his sons graduated from high
school.

"As all of the students were walking in, it hit me like a brick. I can't see
him walking in," Bundy said. "That was really
tough. When they first played ball, it was tough to realize I would never
see them play ball."

His wife, Peggy, and their sons provide support.

"To them, I think it is just a part of life," Bundy said.

"Keith is a loving and caring husband and father," Peggy Bundy said. "He
wants what is best for our family, and his
relationship with Jesus Christ is very strong."

Bundy wants the best for students as well.

"My purpose is to help students learn that they can be successful and help
them to gain the tools to achieve that success,"
he said.

"I like to think that one of my skills in helping students is that I have
been on both sides of the coin," he said. During
his own early college years, he put his scholarship in jeopardy because
"having a lot of fun was a lot more important," he
said.

During the summer between his sophomore and junior years, though, he began
building a stronger relationship with Jesus
Christ. It changed his life, and his grades, for the better.

"Students are going to realize that I've succeeded, and they can, too,"
Bundy said.

Singer is living proof.

"There are days when I would just love to give in to the pain (of various
health issues), but as I drag myself through the
day and see how Mr. Bundy always has a smile on his face, well, it just
helps to put things into perspective," she said.

Copyright 2004 Argus Leader. All rights reserved

Source URL:
http://www.argusleader.com/news/Sundayarticle5.shtml