VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Feb 1998 17:14:25 -0600
Elizabeth raises many of the questions that people just joining Digit-eyes:
the Chicago blind computer User network ask.  First, I would suggest to
elezabeth and others to read through the series of articles that I wrote
for my organization's newsletter on how to choose adaptive technology.
the series states with newsletter 11.  they can be found at
http://www.city-net.com/vipace/friends/chicago.  this will provide a
solid framework on choosing devices, services, and software that meets
someone's particular needs.

I will reiterate one point shared by several posters in the past week.
it is a fallacy that there is a single great product in a particular
category to meet the needs of the masses.

for example, the original post mentioned the dectalk and doubletalk
speech synthesizers.  I use both:  the dectalk at work and the doubletalk
at home.  both are absolutely terrific products and have served me and
many other blind people well.  One cannot go wrong in choosing either
synthesizer.  One should listen and have a hands on demonstration using
the product before it is bought.  For most people, particularly the blind
computer user, the price of computer products is a consideration.  when
the price of a dectalk is more than that of a fully configured brand new
Pentium, one considers this issue carefully.  This does not make the
dectalk a bad product.  However, value is an important consideration when
Uncle Sugar isn't footing the bill.

by the same measure, the Open book Unbound and the Omni are both great
products.  It is difficult to say which is a better product.  they are
both good.  One must evaluate the products in the way I describe in my
articles to arrive at the particular product that is right for you.

If you have used the Open book Unbound for the last five yours, most
would find it beneficial to upgrade rather than learn a completely new
software package.  Additionally, realize that one is buying more than a
product.  One is buying a relationship of service, technical support and
upgrades.  One product is produced by a great company with an excellent
track record.  the other is being produced by a new company without a
large user base or a track record.  the head of the company is well
known.  However, technology companies, included adapted technology
companies, are more than the talents of a single man.

kelly