VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lynn Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lynn Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 2007 00:36:30 -0500
Hello Ray and other interested folks:

The answer to your query was in last Saturday's issue of Kim Komando's
newsletter Saturday January 13, 2007 and one of her cool sites of the day..

Below please find the relevent information you asked for:

Windows Vista Upgrade AdvisorThe Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor is a small
application that you can run on your current Windows XP-based computer to
find out if it's ready to run Windows ...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/upgradeadvisor/default.mspx
CAN'T WAIT FOR VISTA? TRY IT OUT NOW
After five long years, Windows Vista is almost here. Consumers will be able
to buy it on Jan. 30. There is a lot of hype surrounding Vista, thanks to
Microsoft's marketing efforts. But that doesn't mean everybody will upgrade
to Vista right away.

If you're undecided, you'd probably like to see the operating system in
action. Well, you're in luck. Microsoft has a demo of Vista on its Web site.
You can check out the sleek new look and other improvements it offers.

You'll need to use Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher to view the demo. You
must also download and install an ActiveX control. And you'll need some
patience. It was pretty slow when I ran it.

Speaking of Vista, this week's column covers what's new and improved in this
new version of Windows. I have a link to it below. So, keep reading!

Microsoft will release the newest version of Windows called Vista next week.
As always, it is pouring on the hype. Beneath the superlatives, though,
there are real improvements.

Windows XP, the current operating system, is reliable and full-featured. But
it has its problems. Vista improves many of those things.

Four versions of Vista are available to the public. They are Home Basic,
Home Premium, Business and Ultimate. Enterprise is available only through
volume licensing.

I'd avoid Home Basic; it's missing essential features.

Getting started

Moving data and settings to a new computer is tricky. Some people never get
everything transferred. The problem is compounded when switching operating
systems.

Software manufacturers sell programs to transfer files. These programs are
costly, and not everyone knows they're available.

Vista's Easy Transfer helps you transfer files, settings and even user
accounts.

To learn more about the improvements in Vista, read my entire column. It's
free for the reading and sharing on my site

    Send comments on list operation to
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]