From:
Thomas Bridgeland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Aug 2005 00:12:06 +0900
On Friday, August 19, 2005, at 11:50  PM, michael raiti wrote:

> My biggest concern is asthma
> which I think is triggered by acid reflux.

If your asthma is triggered by acid reflux then that is where to focus.
I had it pretty bad a couple of years ago, posted about it quite a bit
then. It has mostly disappeared except when I am upset or angry, then I
get a bit again. If you search the archives for acid reflux you will
find quite a bit.

I was 'lucky' in a way. It came on pretty suddenly, over about six
months, and I was able to think back to what had changed in my diet and
by eliminating that I gradually recovered. For me, what caused the
damage, I believe, was frostbite on my esophagus. My local market began
carrying good frozen berries, and I started eating piles of them every
day, still half frozen. In the summer I was also drinking lots of
crushed ice drinks. I think I just killed bits of the sphincter that
opens onto the stomach with too much ice. So I cut out all very cold
(and very hot) foods, and immediately began feeling a little better. It
took another year to really get a lot better though.

I still don't eat much frozen food, or very hot drinks. I think that
helps.

To control acid reflux when it is active, eating small volume meals
really helps. That means lots of fatty meat, for me. I can get lots of
calories with low volume. In addition, avoiding the common triggers,
like chocolate, coffee, tea, citrus, tomatoes is important. A big one
for me is remaining calm. A good old fight with the wife and kids is a
sure way to get a bad bout!