From:
ginny wilken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Mar 2005 08:27:18 -0800
On Monday, Mar 14, 2005, at 03:24 US/Pacific, Kristina K. Carlton wrote:
> My doctor (he is a cyclist, marathon runner, and personal fitness
> trainer)
> recommended lunges. He said to do walking, sideways, backwards, and
> angle
> lunges - any degree you can think of. I haven't tried it yet.
>
> Kristina

I'd concur on the value of lunges. And, for developing practical
strength for specific sports, or just human efficiency, look into
Plyometrics. There is a book, by Don Chu. I used these for myself and
my students when I was coaching cycling, for short and long races.

Of course, I'm no great example any more, because I overtrained to the
point I've damaged my leg muscles, and have spent the last eight years
or so trying to rehabilitate. On the diet issues, though, I tend to
carry weight in the lower half as well. I lost a fair bit on Paleo,
even though I was not "overweight" before. Now, I'm also at 5'7", 138,
with the only fat on my thighs and hips. Even when my legs were
muscular, all of the fat was there, too. I do think there is such a
thing as training too much and shutting down some metabolic functions.
I am also low thyroid, and went on supplementation after trying
everything else for years - stubborn, too - It helped immensely with
many issues, but did not affect body fat distribution or weight, but
YMMV in that regard. I work out upper body lightly, with weights - I
also used to bodybuild competitively, and hold a fair bit of mass. I
also walk a couple of miles a day and do jujitsu. But outside of that,
my activity is much less intense than previously and hardly aerobic.
Although my resting heart rate has gone back up a bit, there has been
no real change in how much I can or want to eat. I don't diet, and I
eat a pound of meat every day, and usually about six eggs, lots of fat
and more fruit than veggies, with not much of either, maybe two pieces
of fruit a day, and one serving of salad or greens. I eat a lot of fat.
Any less, and I'm hungry and irritable, and after bodybuilding, I just
don't want to go there any more.

Just wanted to throw that in the mix.

ginny

All stunts performed without a net!