From:
Ken Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 2004 10:02:22 -0800
On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 22:08:00 -0500, you wrote:

>Hello,
>I'm new to this list, but a devoted fan of Paleo eating.  At 42, I'm
>recovering from the 'rewards' of decades of milk products and cereal grains
>in the form of fatigue, allergies, tendonitis and weight gain.  Weight
>training has turned the weight around, but I have been using whey isolate
>powder.  I see from the archives that whey protein is probably as bad as
>any other milk product in terms of mobilizing mucous and stuffing the
>sinuses.  If you were trying to build muscle, would you use a protein
>supplement, and if so, what kind?  From my research, soy is out of the
>question (lectins).
>-Lou Huis

Lou -

While weight training is very beneficial to health, body building per
se is not particularly "paleo" - the activity of gaining muscle mass
is an activity of "civilization".   In fact, a search of this list's
archives will reveal discussions of paleo exercises that try to mimic
activities of thousands of years ago.

And, many of the supplements that are most useful and popular for body
building are quite unnatural and often adverse for long-term health.
A good example is the new Arachidonic Acid supplements for body
building that produce exactly the opposite effect of Omega-3 fatty
acid supplements.

That said, it's clear that no one in this list applies the Paleo
principle to the entirety of their lives (otherwise, they wouldn't be
typing messages on computers!).    Body building is as reasonable an
activity as any other modern pasttime.

So, as far as protein supplements go, whey protein is undoubtedly the
best.   And, I remember reading that most people don't get adverse
dairy consumption effects from eating whey (or butter, by the way).

"Designer Whey Protein" is a very high quality product if you do
decide to use whey protein.

--
Cheers,

Ken