From:
Andrea Hughett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 2004 15:23:30 -0800
--- Kristina Carlton <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:
> So how do you all get enough fiber in your diet?

It helps to have the veges ready.  When I get a
chance, I clean and chop up a whole bunch of raw
vegetables - I especially like cauliflower, red
peppers and radishes - and store them in a big
container in the fridge.  Then they are ready when I'm
hungry, or I can throw them in my lunchbox on the way
out the door.  I also cook up a lot of veges, often a
package or two of frozen, and store them in the fridge
in cup-size plastic containers.

Now I know this isn't as good as fresh vegetables
prepared just before eating, but vegetables you
actually eat are much more nutritious than the ones
that rot in the crisper!

I still have a problem getting enough fiber, so I take
flax seed meal and psyllium husks.  My favorite way is
to mix 2 Tablespoons of flaxseed meal, 1 teaspoon of
psyllium husks, 2 T of almond butter or tahini, (a bit
of Splenda - I'm not always a purist) and enough water
to make either a thick dough, which can be rolled into
balls or cakes - useful on the run, as long as you are
sure to drink water with it - or a pudding-like paste
to eat with a spoon. Quite tasty, in my humble
opinion, and three servings a  day give you 30 grams
of fiber not even counting the vegetables.

If the psyllium causes discomfort, I would suggest
making sure you get plenty of water with them and
start with just a smidgen,gradually increasing the
amount as tolerated.

Andrea