From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jan 2004 16:30:30 -0500
Fredrik Murman wrote:

>Interesting. I never thought of using the energy density of these two
>compounds. I was trying to find out the biochemical reactions resulting in
>palmitic acid from glucose, and use these reactions for calculations.

Some energy would be wasted in the conversion, so this method
overestimates the fat yield somewhat, but I don't know how much.

>If SFAs can be stored in fat cells, then how come one does not get fat by
>eating SFAs, or is it possible if one exceeds a certain limit?

One could get fat eating SFAs, I guess, but it's just difficult.  In
nature, dietary SFAs tend to be accompanied by generous amounts of
protein, which has a high satiety factor, so you tend to fill up before
you eat enough SFAs to get fat.  But in forms such as cheese I imagine
you could eat enough to get fat.

Todd Moody