From:
Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 2004 20:44:43 -0700
>It appears that the Atkins people are backpedaling by saying that they
>advise that their diet guidelines advocate only 20% fat....

No, just 20% saturated fat.  The original story appeared on the front page
of Sunday's New York Times and has been ALL OVER the news.  I've seen it on
both Good Morning America (ABC) and World News Tonight (also ABC) in
addition to local stations here in Denver.  The only reason I've missed
stories on CBS, NBC, et al is that I haven't watched them over the last two
days.

I'm too busy to whip it out, but I remember the first Atkins book saying
(waaaaay toward the end) not to eat just red meat.  So I agree with the
Atkins camp to a large degree.  Atkins never said eat ONLY bacon, cheese and
steak.  He DID tout such wares a little too often, in my humble opinion.
Critics say the camp is backpedalling, but did Atkins EVER mention
percentages?  I can't think of any such reference.  X carbs, total, yes but
X percent fat or protein?  No.

Looks to me like the Atkins camp is crunching its first number beyond total
carb intake and the critics are all saying, "See?  TOLD you we were right
and he was wrong!"  At the same time, they're all shitting low-fat bricks
over the 'staggering' amount of saturated fat allowed.  You'll never please
some of these critics.  God on High could come down and say "It is so!" and
at least a few would say they're athiests and, thus, they're STILL right.

Dori Zook
Denver, CO

Scope out the new MSN Plus Internet Software — optimizes dial-up to the max!