From:
Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 2004 16:53:32 -0700
I am on the Atkins newsletter mailing list and received this today:

We want to assure you that when you follow the Atkins Nutritional Approach
(ANA), the consumption of all forms of natural fat is perfectly safe. Let us
also remind you that despite numerous studies that have supported the safety
and efficacy of the ANA, the conventional nutrition community has no
scientific research to back up its claims that consuming fat (including
saturated fat) is bad for you in the context of a controlled carbohydrate
lifestyle.

The fight goes on—and will no doubt continue. The latest attack comes in the
form of an outrageous article in The New York Times, claiming that we at
Atkins have changed our position on fat consumption. Loud and clear, with
the notable exception of man-made trans fats (which Dr. Atkins long ago
identified as dangerous), all fats are a healthy component of the Atkins
lifestyle.

Atkins has not changed its basic tenets in more than 30 years. So what is
new? Well, Atkins is changing the way people around the world eat and that
should keep us in the headlines for years to come!

Kim Kline

>Just passing this along -- Jay
>
>http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/01/18/1074360630808.html
>
>A couple of paragraphs (not the whole article):
>
>After advising dieters for years to satisfy their hunger with liberal
>amounts of steak, eggs and other saturated fats, the promoters of the
>Atkins
>diet now say that people on their plan should limit the amount of red meat
>and saturated fat they eat.
>
>Responding to years of criticism from scientists that the Atkins version of
>a low-carbohydrate, high-fat regimen might lead to heart disease and other
>health problems, director of research and education for Atkins
>Nutritionals,
>Colette Heimowitz, is telling health professionals in seminars around the
>country that only 20 per cent of a dieter's kilojoules should come from
>saturated fat. Atkins Nutritionals was set up by Robert Atkins to sell
>Atkins products and promote the diet.
>
>An Atkins spokesman said Ms Heimowitz has been giving these seminars for
>five years, and that they did not represent a departure from the original
>premise of the diet.

Find high-speed ‘net deals — comparison-shop your local providers here.
https://broadband.msn.com