ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jan 2004 23:36:37 -0700
Pat,

Others will no doubt comment but what she told you is psychology
methodology.  It is also considered very theological in nature because most
Christians believe, well, if it was settled at the cross, why go back.  I
can show you places in the Bible that say otherwise but the main passages
talk about the renewing of the mind.  If our minds have been renewed at the
cross, we do not need to go back to anything.  Yet we are commanded to be
transformed by the renewing of our mind and that was written to already born
again Christians.  So how can that command be fulfilled?  Most Christians
believe there is nothing after the cross and salvation.  If so, why are we
commanded to work out our own salvation with fear and trimbling and
commanded to renew our minds as Christians?  I made it a point to cover all
the passages relating to this in some of my articles because, as I said, it
is psychology techniques which have crept into our theology.  Oddly enough
even psychology has a technique called regressive therapy but the church
hasn't picked up on that yet so I guess it doesn't count yet, haw.  Some
place along the line, Christians got this idea that certain things of this
nature should be left up to the professionals, that is, psychologists and
psychiatrists.  That's fine but Scriptural teaching allows for no such
authority to those positions and it isn't one of the five offices in church
government taught by the Apostle Paul.  Since Saint Luke, who wrote the
gospel of Luke and the book of Acts, and who was a doctor himself, you would
think he might have commented on this worldly philosophy himself.
Additionally, everything I just said is not accepted by everyone even on
this mailing list so if you want differing opinions, you are about to get
them.  I ask everybody to think of the answer to one question in these
regards.  Name the secular psychologist or secular psychiatrist who knows
the first thing about dealing with people who hear voices or are demon
oppressed without using medications or would diagnose a patient as mentally
ill if they admitted to hearing voices.   Thank you for your kind words but
I wish I could take credit but Jesus does all the healing and directing and
renewing; I just pray.  You wouldn't pray with me if you really knew just
how little I know but I don't need to know much when Jesus and the Holy
Spirit know everything.

Phil.