C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 2 Oct 2004 09:01:51 EDT
    If America had a proportional representational system, it would be GREAT
to vote for minor party candidates.  If a minor party got some minimum, say
5%, they would have seats in the national legislature, and they could form
coalitions with the larger parties.

    Unfortunately, we don't have such a system.  We have a winner take all
system, with single seat, geographic districts.

    Canada and the U.K. have a similar electoral system to ours-- by
tradition and history, they have three party systems; we have just a two party system.
 Ross Perot tried to build a three party system in 1992 and 1996, but his
effort failed.

    A three party system can lead to some odd results.  Margaret Thatcher
never got more than 43% of the vote in any election.

    The coin of the realm is our two-party, winner take all system, with our
strange electoral college.

    The candidates that survive the primary system frequently are uninspiring
centrists.  However, the forces arrayed in and around the Democratic Party
are much more diverse than those in the G.O.P.  This is why I support the
Democrats.

Bill Volonte
William J. Volonte
Attorney at Law
117 Central Avenue
Hackensack, NJ 07601-4207
Tel.: (201) 883-0777; Fax: (201) 883-0767
H: (201) 659-4941; Cell: (201) 780-4327
E-Mail: H: [log in to unmask]; O: [log in to unmask]