AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Hedi Rudd <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Mon, 3 Nov 2003 16:00:05 -0600
** Visit AAM's new website! http://www.africanassociation.org **

CENTER FOR THE HUMANITIES PROGRAMS IN NOVEMBER & DECEMBER 2003

Visit www.humanities.wisc.edu for more information on the following
upcoming programs and the 2003-2004 season at the Center for the
Humanities
at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

The programs listed here are free and open to the public. No tickets or

reservations are required.

PETER GAY ON "THE LIBERAL TEMPER"
THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 13

Eminent historian Peter Gay joins the Center's Humanities Without
Boundaries series for a lecture entitled "The Liberal Temper: A Study
in
Political Psychoanalysis." In keeping with his ongoing work on
politics,
culture, and psychology, Dr. Gay's lecture is an effort to understand
the
meaning of liberalism as a matter of character.

Peter Gay's lecture will take place at 7:30 PM on Thursday, November 13
at
Music Hall (Bascom Hill at Park Street). The program is free and open
the public. For more information, visit
http://www.humanities.wisc.edu/programs/hwb.html#gay

DAVA SOBEL ON GALILEO'S DAUGHTER
MONDAY, NOVEMBER 17

The Center and the Wisconsin Initiative for Science Literacy will
present a
lecture by best-selling author Dava Sobel ("Galileo's Daughter" and
"Longitude"). Ms. Sobel's lecture, titled "Galileo's Daughter:
Counselor
and Confidante in the Search for Truth" will re-examine the themes of
her
now-classic book while exploring the process of assembling this
fascinating
story of faith and science.

Dava Sobel's lecture will take place at 7:30 PM on Monday, November 17,
in
the Alumni Lounge of the Pyle Center (702 Langdon Street). The program
is
free and open to the public. For more information, visit
http://www.humanities.wisc.edu/programs/otherprogs.html#sobel

CONVERSATIONS ON CREATIVITY II: RICHARD BURGESS
TUESDAY, DECEMBER 9

Richard Burgess of the UW-Madison Department of Oncology is the
featured
speaker in the second installment of the Center's "Conversations on
Creativity" series. Dr. Burgess' talk, which is not yet titled, will
take
place on Tuesday, December 9 at 7:00 PM at the Alicia Ashman Branch of
the
Madison Public Library (733 N. High Point Rd.). For more information on
the
series, visit http://www.humanities.wisc.edu/programs/creativity.html

CHANGES TO OUR WEBSITE

Recent visitors to our website at www.humanities.wisc.edu may have
noticed
a few changes. In addition to improved design and typography, we have
added
several new features:

* Our refurbished Humanities Calendar is a simplified, easy-to-navigate

starting point for the wide range of humanities-related programming on
the
UW-Madison campus. We hope that you will use it often. You can find the

Humanities Calendar via our homepage, or by pointing your browser to
http://www.humanities.wisc.edu/events/index.html

* Information on our programs has been re-organized and re-formatted
for
easier browsing. To view our complete range of programs, visit
http://www.humanities.wisc.edu/programs/index.html. Click on each
program
for more information and a schedule. Or, for information on upcoming
programs and events, simply visit our homepage and click on the
featured
icons.

- A new Archive page at
http://www.humanities.wisc.edu/archive/index.html
contains extensive information about the Center's past programs,
including
our A.W. Mellon Workshops, news, and archived pages from our Humanities

Festival programs in 2001 and 2003, as well as the Center's Annual
Reports.

* Sign up for our mailing list with an online form at
http://www.humanities.wisc.edu/contact/mailingList.html.

* Support the Center with a gift to the UW Foundation by visiting
http://www.humanities.wisc.edu/support/index.html

GENERAL INFORMATION

We all receive too much unsolicited email. If you have received this
message in error, received a duplicate message, or if you do not want
receive email from us in the future, please accept our apologies and
respond to this message with REMOVE in the subject line. Your request
will
be honored immediately. If you would like to receive a printed program

brochure, please send us your mailing address.

Visit our website at www.humanities.wisc.edu for more information.
Contact
us by email at [log in to unmask] or by phone at (608) 263-3409.

Please forward this message to interested students, colleagues, and
friends.

The Center for the Humanities
University of Wisconsin-Madison
218 Memorial Library