Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 10:15:33 -0500

Thanks to all of you who replied to my question about how to program my new
Ultimate Breadman to bake Gluten Free Pantry (and other) bread.  I was
amazed and touched at the number of people who took time during the busy
holiday season to write me with their helpful suggestions.  Everyone was
very kind. About a dozen people replied, with various suggestions that I
plan to try. I e-mailed Salton, the manufacturer, at about the same time
and have yet to receive a reply!
* This first suggestion looked the most complicated, but I tried it and it
makes perfect bread!  The instructions include how to save the settings so
that once you go through the 26 steps, you never have to do it again. Thank
you Andrea Levario! Here it is:

Below are the settings we use, and the bread turns out great!

Programming Breadman« Ultimate TR2200C for GF Bread
Custom program for gluten-free bread is 20 minutes kneading, 70 minutes
rising, and 65 minutes baking.

1. Select the 2-lb. medium crust setting for White bread.
2. Press PROGRAM. A beep will sound. CUSTOM PROGRAM will appear in the
upper  left corner of the screen. PREHEAT will appear in the lower left
corner of  the screen. 0 next to the small clock symbol indicates there
is no preheating time.
3. Press PROGRAM. KNEAD 1 will appear.
4. Press the up arrow until 20 appears. This allows for 20 minutes of
kneading.
5. Press PROGRAM to set the kneading time. KNEAD 2 will appear.
6. Press the down arrow until 0 appears. You have omitted the second
kneading.
7. Press PROGRAM to set the second kneading. RISE 1 will appear.
8. Press the down arrow until 0 appears. You have omitted the first
rise time.
9. Press PROGRAM to set the first rise. PUNCH will appear.
10. Press the down arrow until 0 appears. You have omitted the punch
down cycle.
11. Press PROGRAM to set the punch down. RISE 2 will appear.
12. Press the down arrow until 0 appears. You have omitted the second
rise cycle.
13. Press PROGRAM to set the second rise. SHAPE will appear.
14. Press the down arrow until 0 appears. You have omitted the shaping
cycle.
15. Press PROGRAM to set the shaping. RISE 3 will appear.
16. Press the up arrow until 70 appears. You have programmed 70
minutes of rising time.
17. Press PROGRAM to set the rising time. BAKE will appear.
18. Press the up arrow until 65 appears. You have programmed the bake
time.
19. Press PROGRAM to set baking time. KEEP WARM appears.
20. Press the down arrow to 0. You have omitted the KEEP WARM cycle.
21. Press PROGRAM. NO EXTRAS will appear.
22. Press the down arrow/NO to cancel EXTRAS dispenser.
23. Press PROGRAM. Press the up arrow to 350â F to set baking
temperature.
24. Press PROGRAM. SAVE will appear and flash.
25. Press the up arrow/YES to save this custom program.
26. Press START to begin the bread making process. 2:35 will appear
and the bread making process will begin.

Other suggestions:
*change first time mixing to 10 minutes, second mixing 20 minutes, bake 60
minutes.
*Preheat 10; Knead1 20; Knead2 5; Rise1 70; Punch, Rise2, Shape and Rise3
0; Bake 60; Keep warm 60; No Extras; 350 degrees
*Bake 70 min for 2 lb, 60 minutes for smaller
*15 min preheat; 25 min mix; first rising 50 min; bypass all other kneading
and rising cycles; bake 65 minutes
*knead1 20 min; rise 3 70 min; bake 65 minutes; 2 lb loaf; dark crust;  all
other settings at zero
* use preprogrammed settinb choice 2 - two hours, fifty minutes.  Turn
baked loaf upside down overnight so the middle doesn't sink
* use preprogrammed rapid french bread cycle (I tried this and couldn't
make it work).
* bake the bread by hand - it's less work than programming the machine (a
good suggestion!)

Thanks again -
Cathy in NY