From:
Valerie Wells <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 18 Oct 2003 14:28:55 -0700

Ha!  Not one of the 10 respondants could tell me how to make large
batches of mayonnaise.  One person did, however suggest I try making it
in a food processor, but couldn't offer a tried & true recipe.  Everyone
else asked for my recipe!  SO.....below is my recipe.  It's easy & quick,
especially after you've made it enough times to memorize the recipe.
        You can use any salad oil to make mayonnaise.  But I don't recommend
olive oil.  It's too strong flavored & over powers anything it's put in.
I have used safflower oil in mayonnaise.  It turns out great.  My
personal favorite is cold pressed sunflower oil, but it's pricey.  This
recipe is an adaptation from an old Betty Crocker cookbook I received as
a wedding gift back in the dark ages.  The amounts & kinds of spices you
use can vary.  I don't measure the spices anymore.  I just put in a dash
of this or a little of that, etc.  I've also used various spices:
tumuric, black pepper, white pepper, cumino, curry, etc.  It all turns
out just fine.  I've only had two mayonnaise failures in 27 years.  Once
I added the oil too quickly.  The other failure was when I tried to
double the recipe.  There is a way to fix a ruined mayonnaise batch.
It's described below the recipe.
        If you want your mayonnaise to taste like store bought mayonnaise,
you'll need to add more sugar than the recipe below.  Also, be aware that
mayonnaise tastes better & has a better texture after it's had time to
chill.  It's best to make it up ahead of time, but I'm rarely that
organized.  That's why I'm looking for a large batch recipe.  It can be
stored in the frig in a tightly covered container just like store bought
mayonnaise.  Don't worry about the raw egg in it.  Store bought
mayonnaise also contains raw egg.  I've heard that vinegar somehow makes
it safe.

Blender Mayonnaise

1 egg
1 teaspoon dry mustard (I usually use less)
1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
1/4 teaspoon salt
dash cayenne red pepper or paprika
2 tablespoons lemon juice or vinegar
1 cup salad oil (any kind)

Place 1/4 cup (I usually use less) of the oil, the egg and the remaining
ingredients in the blender.  Mix on high speed 5 seconds and turn off.
Beat on high speed, adding remaining salad oil VERY SLOWLY in a narrow
stream.  Turn off blender occasionally and clean sides with rubber
scraper.  It's done in seconds.  I've also made this recipe in a mini
chopper attachment that fits my blender.

If your mayonnaise fails, start over just like you do with the original
recipe only using the failed mayonnaise in place of the oil.  It works.
The repaired mayonnaise will be a little spicier than the original.

If you want to make another batch.  There's no need to clean the blender
between batches.  It works just fine with a little residual mayonnaise in
the bottom of the blender.

Valerie in Tacoma, WA

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!