BLIND-DEV Archives

Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI

BLIND-DEV@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rev Clyde Shideler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BLIND-DEV: Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 02:23:09 -0500
Hello all,

I must agree 100% with these findings and reports.   Past complaints to DOJ
were swept under the rug.  DOD and The Veterans Affairs are yet to make
their programs and facilities accessible.  Most recent example: VA "in home
care services" require that you go to a clinic for evaluation and
certification by a doctor.  This is to certify that you can not go to the
clinic and need in home care.  U.S. Postal Service post office buildings
are still not accessible and like the VA their programs are not accessible
either.  Everything in print, no alternate formats or accessible signs.
Our files, going back for more than 20 years show how lax or nonexistant
enforcement has been and how even the Office of the Inspector General of
the respective agencies ignored complaint after complaint.  (We are
preparing some new complaints)

Accessible web sites are great but serve only a small part of PWD, many PWD
do not have computers.  Most of their other programs are not accessible.
And what about HUD?  Accessible housing is one of our must critical
problems. And while on the topic of enforcement, what about the numerous
problems PWD have with getting enforcement against criminals?  What about
the many "hate crimes" that go unreported or acted on?  Why are PWD to
blame for accidents in most cases?  Bias or discrimination?

Department of Transportation of Federal agencies is the "leader" in
enforcement, based on my experience.  They have investigators who actively
investigate complaints and staff that takes positive enforcement action
when called for.

I was especialy please to see the "Go For The Gold" recommendation.  Cut
the funding to those who fail to comply.

Rev Clyde Shideler