Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Joy Mendez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 2004 15:56:39 -0500

Okay, apparently one of my three postings didn't make it through because it
was too long.  So let's try it again.

Here is a good recipe that I have made many times. You'll want to make sure
your bananas are very ripe so that they smash up easily. I prefer the
muffins to the bread.

BANANA MUFFINS OR BREAD

1/2 stick butter
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
2 large eggs
3/4 cup plus I tbsp. buttermilk (I use regular, rice, or soy milk with
better results)
2/3 cup cornmeal
1 cup brown rice flour (I have tried a mix of white rice with brown rice and=

tapioca flour with equally good results)
1 mashed banana
1 rounded tsp. gluten-free baking powder

Beat butter and sugar together. I use an electric mixer. Add eggs. Add milk.=

Add banana. Put in greased muffin tins. Bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees. (My
oven runs hot, so I cook at 325 degrees so that they don't brown too much).

These are simple and tasty and you can change the ingredients around. For
example, applesauce or pumpkin can be substituted for the banana, or a
combination of these. Also, the flours can be combined. Any combination of
tapioca, sorghum, rice, cornstarch, or other flours seems to work. I just
use whatever I happen to have on hand. I forgot where I got the recipe; it
might have been at all.recipes.com but they suggested using grated parmesan
cheese, about 1/2 cup, and using unsalted butter with that combination. They=

also suggested adding chopped dates and sprinkling brown sugar on top before=

baking.

It seems like it might be a good kids' recipe because you just put the basic=

stuff in a bowl and add things to that bowl. Simple and easy.

Good luck.
*******************
What a great idea to have the kids at your place to learn math with cooking.=

I taught a one-year Hospitality Services program at our local community
college and taught the math in the kitchen. I also taught all the kitchen
work and we ran a small diningroom. The students found fractions,
temperatures, food costing including profit and loss, and portion control
second nature and not a foreign subject. It is an added plus and the perfect=

time for the students to learn about cross contamination and to enjoy your
son's special foods.

We have written a cookbook "125 Best Gluten-Free Recipes" (Robert Rose Inc.)=

available through www.amazon.com, most major bookstores or our web site.
www.bestbreadrecipes.com/glutenfree.htm
There are many recipes the kids could prepared and all developed, written
and tested to be "kid friendly" and easy to follow. A couple you might like
to use chocolate Chip cookies (sorghum and bean) , Applesauce Raisin Muffins=

(sorghum and bean) or the Chocolate Fudge Cake (sorghum and bean - this
recipe is on our site as it is the cover photo).

We too like sorghum and bean flours and add nutrition through fruit purees
and decrease sugar and fat where possible. We are now developing recipes for=

a second book which will have many recipes containing amaranth, teff,
quinoa. This will be available early 2005.

Hope this is helpful. Let us know what you baked. Be sure to take lots of
pictures. a fun project later would be to scrapbook a page at school as they=

review what they did.

Donna J Washburn PHEc & Heather L Butt PHEc
****************
Here is one that I make that my kids love.
I know that it doesn't have flour but it's an
Idea...

Flourless Peanut-butter cookies
1c. sugar (white granulated)
1c. peanut butter
2 eggs
2c.chocolate chips (optional)

mix ingred. together Drop by rounded teaspoon  onto greased cookie sheet
Bake at 350 for 10-12 min. Leave cookies on pan for 1 min then remove & let =
cool
*****************
Are you trying to also stay nut free and/ or dairy free? I know a lot of
schools suggest staying nut free....

 If not, there is a great recipe for quick cookies made from egg white,
nuts and sugar from Bette Hagmans' first book.

 I can tell you the basics here, but you could also check out her first
book if you have it.
They are called Pecan Bites:
3 egg whites
3 cups brown sugar
3 cops finely chopped nuts (I use toasted pecans)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tsp. vanilla
 Heat oven to 300 degrees (I actually bake mine at 325). Beat egg whites
till stiff peaks in large bowl (not plastic). Gently fold in sugar and
salt, then remaining ingredients. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto
very well greased cookie sheet or one lined with greased parchment paper
or Silpat non-stick liner. Bake for 20 minutes or until set and light
brown. Let cool a few minutes on pan, then remove gently with spatula to
wire rack to cool. These are very fragile when hot, so be careful!
Supposed to make 4-5  dozen, but I make mine larger, so it makes fewer.
This recipe can be adapted by using any nut or any type of sugar. It is
dairy free.
*****************
What a great idea.  For the bread you might think about how they do things
on the cooking shows.  They do all the prep work and get it in the pan and
when they open the oven to cook it they are actually pulling the completed
one out.  That way you have bread for them to eat and bread for them to see
cooking.

Here are 2 recipes that are favorites of my 8 year old celiac.  I serve them=

to other children all the time.

Chocolate Mousse Cake

1 Package (8 oz) semisweet chocolate
1&#8260;2 cup (1 stick) margarine
6 eggs, separated
1/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons corn starch

=A8       Spray 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray.
=A8       In a small saucepan combine chocolate and margarine.  Cook over lo=
heat, stirring frequently; just until chocolate melts.  Pour into large
bowl; cool to room temperature.
=A8       In medium bowl with mixer at high speed, beat egg white until foam=
y.
 Gradually add sugar, beating until soft peaks form.
=A8       Add egg yolks to chocolate mixture; stir until blended.
=A8       Stir in corm starch.
=A8       Gently fold in egg whites until thoroughly blended.
=A8       Pour into prepared pan.
=A8       Bake in 300=BAF oven 40 minutes or until set.  Run knife around ed=
ge.
 Cool on wire rack.  Remove sides of pan.

Makes 10 Servings

Serving Suggestions:

Sprinkle with confectioners sugar
Top with whipped cream and berries
Top with vanilla ice cream

Snickerdoodles

1&#8260;2 cup shortening
3&#8260;4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1&#8260;2 cup potato starch
3&#8260;4 cup + 2 tbs. Cornstarch
1&#8260;4 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. xanthan gum
1&#8260;2 tsp. salt
2 tbs. Water

Coating
2 tbs. Sugar
1&#8260;2 tsp. cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 .  In a large bowl, cream together shortening and sugar.=

 Add egg and vanilla and mix well.  Add potato starch, cornstarch, baking
soda, baking powder, xanthan gum, salt and water.  Mix well to eliminate any=

lumps.  Dough will be sticky.

Lightly oil hands or spry them with nonstick spray to better handle the
dough.  Shape into small balls, using a slightly rounded teaspoonful of
dough for each cookie.  Roll in cinnamon sugar mixture

Place on lightly greased baking sheet and press each ball to even thickness
of about 1/3 inch.  Bake 10  12 minutes.  A single cookie sheet should be
removed at the shortest baking time to test for doneness.  Browning is not a=

good indicator for these cookies.

Makes about 3 dozen cookies.