Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 10 Mar 2004 15:41:31 -0500
7bit
From:
Dawn Dutton <[log in to unmask]>

MY ORIGINAL QUESTION:
In the last month or so, I'm seeing more and more foods labeled with the
'Big 8' allergens.  This includes wheat, but not rye, barley, or oats.
I wonder if there are any resources, on the web or elsewhere, that help
us read these labels.  I assume that the number of ingredients we need
to check with the manufacturer on is smaller if we know that none of the
ingredients contain wheat.  But, what ingredients will we still need to
check on?

SUMMARY:
I had hoped to get an answer like - "You still need to check on these 10
ingredients."  Unfortunately, I didn't get an answer that was that
simple and easy to deal with.  But, that's no surprise is it?  :)

One person had a particularly upbeat piece of news:  "I've heard
estimates from the celiac task force pushing the labeling bill in
Congress that listing wheat will take care of more than 90 percent."

American Celiac Task Force web site:
http://www.celiaccenter.org/taskforce.asp
Perhaps the Celiac Task Force could provide celiacs with a list of
ingredients that are potential sources of gluten *if* the Big 8
Allergens are correctly labeled on a food package!!

Here's the info I did get:
RYE:  Rye isn't a hidden ingredient; it is always clearly marked and is
only in foods like Rye Bread.

BARLEY:  All agreed that barley can be in the ingredient list as things
like barley (of course!), malt (by itself or as an adjective for stuff
like 'malt vinegar'), and even orzo.  (I have to admit I though orzo was
a kind of pasta, not barley.  You learn something new every day!)

While a couple of people said that barley can be a hidden ingredient or
a hidden part of the manufacturing process itself, one person noted "
I've never found a product where this is true."

OATS
Two people noted that oats can be used as an emulsifier or in fat
substitutes.  Again, no one could provide an actual ingredient list to
look out for.

HOW INDIVIDUAL COMPANIES HANDLE THIS ISSUE:
"Some manufacturers have full disclosure labeling policies in place
while other have said their labeling will also label rye, barley & oats,
as well as other gluten-containing grains..."

"I spoke with a woman from GENERAL MILLS the other day.  She said that
if
there was wheat in a product, then it would be stated in bold print as
an
allergen.  If there was oats, barley, or rye in the natural flavors, for
example, then it would be included in the ingredients list but not in
bold
print.  That's just one company.  I don't know if all companies do
this."

"If you contact KRAFT FOODS, they will tell you that they also will list
barley, rye and oats on their label, even though they are not part of
"The Big 8" allergens.  I am thankful for that and hope they follow
suit.  Their website had a page that explained gluten intolerance to the
point that I feel comfortable and that they fully understand.  As long
as they are training all employees to understand as well, I won't worry
about using Kraft products whose labels don't show these items.  I wish
the other ingredients could be added to "The Big 8", but it doesn't look
likely anytime soon."

"This was a post from KRAFT/NABISCO...
For all Kraft and Nabisco products to list items that contain gluten on
the package ingredient statement. These items will be listed using
commonly known terms such as Wheat, Barley, Oats or Rye. Other
ingredients that contain gluten are Triticale, Spelt, Kamut, Mir or
Farina (also known as Far or Farro).
For other ingredients that contain gluten, the grain source will be
declared in parenthesis after the ingredient name. For example, if the
ingredient 'natural flavor' contains a gluten source, the label would
read: natural flavor (contains rye).
Information from our vinegar suppliers assures us that the vinegar we
use in our products is gluten free. All vinegar is distilled and through
the distilling process protein is removed. Glucose syrup or any other
non-protein containing wheat based material does not contain gluten.
When listed in the ingredient statement of our products, "food starch"
and "modified food starch" always refer to corn, potato or tapioca
starch; our ingredient suppliers assure us that the corn, potato or
tapioca starch we use in our products does not contain gluten. If a
Kraft product has food starch from a gluten-containing source, the
source will always be identified, such as wheat starch.
The source material of the Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein will be given in
the ingredient statement (corn, wheat, etc.) as an indication of whether
or not it was derived from gluten-containing grains.
Information from our mustard suppliers assures us that the mustard and
mustard flour we use in our products does not contain gluten. Mustard
flour is made of ground mustard seeds."

Dawn @ the Jersey Shore