From:
Lacustral <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lacustral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Oct 2003 09:14:04 -0400

so does it seem to you that many of us food-intolerant people are angry --
because diagnosis for something SO important was SO slow, because the
medical profession largely just blows off gluten intolerance as rare, and
food intolerance other than gluten intolerance is disrespected by many as
being on the fringe, in the province of alternative medicine?

That we've been the victim of a mercenary system of medical research that
favors pill-research by pharmaceutical companies, so that when you go to
the doctor, you almost always get some kind of prescription?  And if your
answer isn't "eat this pill" but rather "don't eat that food", the way
things have been slanted, you are not likely to *hear* that answer?  And
other reasons for neglect too.

And there are such pitiful stories, people who almost die physically from
celiac before it's diagnosed.  People like me, who suffer from intense
anxiety and super-vulnerability for DECADES before recognizing we are
suffering from physical problems and no amount of therapy is going to
change them.  Or if it does, it's like getting long and hard training,
like being a yogi, trying to train your mind to be different from how it
wants to be.  I cannot possibly express to you in words how intense the
struggles i have had, to while eating foods i was intolerant to, get over
the emotional pain, terror and anxiety.  i don't think the struggles have
been useless or meaningless -- but, my god, there was futility in them
that i warded off, telling myself not to think my struggles were futile --
when that sense of futility may have beena deep knowledge of reality.

i can't say that i have been angry at The System about it.  It has been
too big to be angry at, i have been too occupied with simply recovering,
being more of a functioning person in the world, less tormented
psychologically, less shy.

laura