From:
Carol Lydick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carol Lydick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 2004 11:44:50 -0400

Hi Listmates,

My husband and I can’t take statin drugs for high cholesterol.  Cholesterol
readings indicate I am about 230 and my husband, 140.  Tests indicate that
he had some blockage, but I don’t seem to have any blockage that is apparent
on stress tests or echocardiograms/ ultrasound.   He is a smoker.  The
doctors have given him an alternative drug that takes the fats out of the
blood stream.  We both have problems with gluten, I have CD and he is
allergic to wheat and I believe if he were tested, that he too would
probably have CD.  I am on a strict GF diet, and he is about 95% as he
sneaks “regular” food when he is out at restaurants.   At home neither of us
eat anything out of a box and I cook only with olive oil.

I notice a lack of energy in him and he seems to want to sleep all the time
since taking the medication.  He says that he does not seem to feel there is
any change in how he feels.  I am concerned that with all the
gastrointestinal problems that I have gastritis, GERD, irritable bowel and,
I believe, intestinal permeability, that I would not tolerate anything else
that would be a problem in my intestines.

Does anyone one know of any research that would indicate whether these types
of medications are beneficial or safe for people with CD and other
intestinal disorders?  Thanks, Carol