From:
Deb McManman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deb McManman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Feb 2004 20:00:24 -0500

I have been really, really, really, really sick the last two days. I
thought I had food poisoning; hurt a lot all over, almost barfing several
times; severe diahrrea, nausea, and sleeping from Friday night until
Sunday noon. I couldn't eat anything for over 24 hours. That tells you
something; if I can't eat, I must be really sick!

I think just found out what made me ill.

Friday night I ate at a mexican restaurant. I ordered the combo plate with
tamale and tostada; both made with corn. I told them I couldn't have
wheat. The cook made a mistake and sent me the plate with an enchilada on
it. They took the enchilada off the plate. But, I remembered that they had
a notation on their menu that said some sauces used peanut butter. (I have
a peanut allergy). I called the restaurant just now and guess what: The
enchilada sauce uses peanut butter! I'm sure if they scraped it off the
plate, some sauce remained behind. Mystery solved. No wonder I was so
sick, slept 30 hours straight, couldn't eat anything until just now, and
still feel queasy! Icky! This peanut allergy is odd. I am lucky; it could
have sent me to the hospital. And, what have I learned from this: ask lots
of questions in restaurants. Actually, it is probably not a good idea for
me to eat out unless I really, really trust the cook.

I wonder if this was a near-death experience. It sure felt like it.

I was so worried about not eating wheat that I didn't even think about the
possibility of ingesting peanuts.

It is two days after the offending meal; and I am still queasy and hurt
all over. No, I'm not having any flu symptoms or any other indication of
anything else.

Does anyone reading this have any enlightening comments? Thank you. And
stay healty!