Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 2004 16:08:38 -0500

Hi: Some interesting responses to my question about waking in the night
with hunger!  apparently lots of people like to eat peanuts before bed.
Who knew?

Summary below...

<<I used to wake and be starving in the night but now I use a liquid melatonin
by Source Naturals (just 1 mg) and I sleep like a baby.>>

Pain pills may cause problems: <<I am taking Darvocet (for pain) a few
hours before I take Ambien. Just wondered if you were also taking a pain
pill at the same time as a sleeping pill?>>

<<If you have cut out all the bad stuff from your diet, you just might not
be getting enough food period, thus the hunger in the night. I suggest you
eat a bit of something before retiring, a piece of fruit, some veggies,
anything to curb that hunger.  Not knowing how old you are, hormones can
also play a part in waking up in the night and even hunger.>>

<<It sounds like you might be a bit hypoglycemic.  Try a small snack before
bedtime.>>

<<I do wake in the middle of the night, about 5 hours after going to sleep,
with muscle tension and a migraine if I eat anything I react to -- and
there are lots of foods that I react to in addition to gluten (all grasses,
including cane sugar, casein protein, and legumes). I don't have the
intense hunger in the middle of the night, but eating anything I react to
does seem to make me crave eating more -- of anything!>>

<<Three things help me sleep better:
(1) Comprehensive mineral supplement.  I like OsteoPrime made by
PhytoPharmica.  (2) Adrenal support supplement containing small amount of
adrenal extract.  This has stopped ALL the "hypoglycemic" symptoms I used
to have in both day and night.  ( I like Stress EZE by Phoenix
Nutritionals.)(3) Get outdoors at least 20 minutes a day to expose my eyes
(and therefore my brain) to sufficient light to set my sleep cycle
properly. (Low light exposure is a major contributor to seasonal insomnia
so common in winter months.)>>

<<Has to do with either blood sugar drops or high cortisol, which are more
or less the same thing. I get that if I don't eat much in the evening.
[Try having your] biggest meal at night. Always be sure to get some meat
and fat in the evening, and a "slow carb" like a baked potato with butter
or oil.>>

<<If you are still healing you might not be absorbing enough nutrition and
hence are really hungry.>>

Try this: <<Hot bath in the evening - Handful of peanuts before bed - This
one works very well!! No chocolate or coffee after 2:PM>>

<<I wake up with this when I have accidentally had gluten. almost always
around 3 or 4 am, regardless of
what time the day before I think I accidentally got gluten. it is like a
hollow, gnawing hungry feeling. I usually get a snack and go back to bed
and feel awful the next day.>>

<<Have you tried eating protein before you go to bed? I usually eat peanuts
or soy ice cream >>