Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Chris Barr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 2004 09:46:17 -0500

Dear Gluten-Free list members:

A. UTZ potato chips replied, twice. (See below.)
  Several list members liked UTZ. In fact, UTZ was #1 for GF.
  Their Unseasoned ALL have GF recipes, as do many Seasoned.
  But, as with other brands, traces of gluten *may* remain in production
machines.
  I'm inclined to think that UTZ may be more careful than most.  They do GF
  production early in the week, then Seasoned, and clean all each day.

B. One interesting reply came from a chip-loving list member:
  "I've tried them all, Boulder Natural, Dirty, Cape Cod, etc. and
   they're all hit or miss, because apparently the machines cannot
   be completely cleaned, or flour dust sometimes spreads from
   non-GF production.  I make my own potato chips."

 From Utz Potato Chips:
- - - - - - - - - -
Dear Chris:
All of our unseasoned potato chip products, including kettle cooked, are
free of gluten, corn and dairy ingredients.
Many of our seasoned potato chip products are also free of these
ingredients.
We have full ingredient disclosure on all our packages.
Those products that are dairy are plainly marked with a   Circle U-D
symbol on the front of the package, meaning that the product is kosher
dairy. Without the "D", it is just kosher pareve, or non-dairy.
Sincerely, Donald Kline, Dir., Technical Services, Utz Quality
Foods, Inc.

Dear Chris:
You are correct; this is the production sequence we follow.
A thorough clean-up of all the equipment used is done after each
production run, i.e., each day.
Don