From:
Janet Rinehart <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janet Rinehart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 2004 12:41:00 -0600

We have made our own simple Celiac restaurant card for our chapter.
Actually, we make another for those with additional Lactose Intolerance
by deleting the dairy products.
A previous poster posted our card, but it was not clear because the two
columns ran together.
I put 4 (in 10 pts.) on a 8-1/2 by 11 landscape page.  I suggest our
members copy it and laminate several copies to have on hand. Waiters and
restaurant managers don't want to read a long card.

                    GLUTEN INTOLERANCE RESTAURANT CARD

            Please help me select items from your menu that are safe for
me to eat. I have Celiac Disease, which is a medically diagnosed
disease, the only treatment for which is a gluten-free diet.  My body
cannot tolerate any gluten from wheat, barley, rye or oats. Even a crumb
from these grains can make me ill.  Gluten is toxic to my intestines.
Any food prepared for me must not come in contact with other foods
containing gluten.  Please do not put croutons on or near my salad, or
bread crumbs on my food.

I CANNOT EAT

 Rice pilaf or Mexican rice

 Bread, breading, pasta

 Croutons, bread or crackers

 Battered or stuffed items

 Modified food starch

 Commercial broth, bouillon, soups

 Marinades are questionable

 Meat dusted with flour

 Most soy sauces

 BBQ sauces are questionable

 Malt vinegar

I CAN EAT

 Rice, plain (cooked in water only)

 Potatoes, tapioca, corn, masa

 Cornstarch

 Corn tortillas

 Plain meat, fish, poultry, vegetables & fruit

 Daisy brand sour cream

 Natural broth (no flour or modified food starch)

 Fresh salad dressings; vinaigrette

 Milk, butter

 La Choy Soy Sauce, San-J Tamari

 Most ice cream, sorbet & sherbet