From:
Roberto Ortega <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roberto Ortega <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 2004 12:35:37 -0700

Thanks for your replay about long reaction after ingesting gluten. In
short the answer seems to be EXTREMELY COMMON!.

I found many interesting comments. Apparently, the long reaction is a
function of the time you have been under GF diet. The more you have been
under GF diet the shorter the reaction. But in two cases was completely
the opposite.

SUMMARY

Of the 35 answers (at this moment), 31 gave me indication about their
time reaction (and 4 where greetings! :). Only 2 answered that they have
reaction in an hour or less. The mean is about 12-24 hours. I will post
much more questions. Finally I found that I am not alone.

Some samples:

-"...I get diarrhea the next morning. My registered nurse daughter gets
mouth ulcers in about 24 hours."

-"...It usual for me to take one or even two days to start reacting to a
gluten ingestion"

-"...Sometimes I get a reaction within 8 hours, but usually it is the
next day"

-"I don't know how common it is, but it happens to me. Maybe not 24
hrs,  but about 12 hrs."

-"...Your experience with the seemingly delayed reaction is very
common."

-"..  I get gluten reactions most often the next day - in the morning -
I get diarrhea ".

-"..It takes 72 hours for food to work it's way through your digestive
system.  I am sickest 2-3 days after accidental gluten.  It makes it
hard to figure out what the offending item was."

-"...I have the same delay reaction, I take about 24 hours to have a
gluten reaction."

-"...For me, the reactions that are 24 hours later, the reaction is to
something I don't tolerate besides gluten, like milk, for instance."

-"...This is exactly the way I  react to gluten."

-"...Everyone is different. I get an intestinal reaction 48 hours later.
"

_"...  It happens to me that way most often."

_"...My reactions begin 48 h    rs.aftereatinggluten.

_"...My son is the same way.  The soonest he reacts is within 12hours,
but normally 24 hours."

-"...Not necessarily as long as 24 hours later, but sometimes the next
day. I don't know what to think because my doctor said I would react
within an hour." (Be careful, apparently is not true what your doctor
thinks).

-"...My friend who is celiac, but not on this list, does
not have reactions until the next day."

-"..My reactions start about 6 hours after I accidentally get gluten.

... etc.