Date:
Sat, 10 Apr 2004 22:23:30 EDT

A couple of weeks ago I posted a question about San Juan Puerto Rico. Here
are the responses that I got.  Thanks very much to people who responded.
Amy, Boston

Puerto Rico is good to celiacs. All the good restaurants in the hotels give
you exactly what you order. They have an Outback there near the El San juan
Hotel. This hotel has an Italian restaurant that makes up roasted potatoes
instead of pasta and broils veal chops, fish anything you want with steamed veggies.
I ate at Outback 2 nights. Everyone speaks English.
_________________
At the El San Juan Hotel, there is a wonderful (and expensive) Italian
restaurant. I spoke to the manager about my daughter's food needs in the afternoon
when they weren't busy and asked questions about what dishes on the menu could
be prepared safely for her. I brought my CSA restaurant card and a translation
into Spanish (which wasn't needed). When we arrived for dinner, they were
ready and waiting for us; we had an extremely experienced waiter and we all had a
fantastic meal.
    Also, on the top of the El San Juan there is a casual BBQ-type place
called The Ranch. We ate there twice, too. I spoke to the manager there about the
menu and my daughter's diet and cross contamination issues, showed them the
Restaurant card,etc. They said they could prepare a safe meal for her. My
daughter had salad, baked potato and plain grilled chicken because at the time I
didn't know if Cattleman's BBQ sauce (which is what they used) was GF or not.
When I got back I found out that Cattleman's BBQ sauce is GF (except for the
Cattleman's Gold). It's a really fun place - they have a mechanical bull and
people get on and try to ride.
   The other place I'd recommend is the Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. It's a few
blocks away from the El San Juan. We had spoken to the manager ahead of time
and again they were extremely helpful. For dessert he brought out such a huge
plate of fruit that we ended up wrapping most of it up and taking it back to the
room and she had it for breakfast for 2 days.
Westin Rio Mar Resort :  The staff could not have been more accomodating.
Chef Robert was a tremendous help and had gone out of his wayto purchase GF
products for my daughter - - - pancake batter, cookies,pasta, etc.  There are
several restaurants at this resort and wherever wedined, everyone had been
informed of my daughters needs.  I highly recommendthis resort for anyone with food
allergies.