From:
Sue Clayton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 2004 07:33:30 -0700

  Hi everybody,

I need some advice from this group. I've just come back from the
podiatrist. My daughter (almost 7, daignosed with celiac disease 10
months ago) appears to have cracked a bone in her left
ankle after banging it in the shower. Two weeks ago, she pulled a bone
plate out of alignment on her other ankle when she tripped at school.
The podiatrist was baffled by abnormalities in her bones and I suggested
this could be explained by
osteoperosis caused by celiac disease. The podiatrist agreed that made
sense. He suggested a bone scan but then didn't know how to read numbers
in kids that young, so wanted to refer us to a pediatric
endocrinologist.

So here are my questions:

1. Is a pediatric endocrinologist the right referral? Who normally
diagnoses
osteoperosis in kids that young?
2.  Does anybody have any experience with osteoperosis in a child? Any
advice you can offer?
3.  We live in Phoenix, Arizona. Does anyone have recommendations for a
knowledgeable doctor in the Phoenix area?

Thanks for your help. I'll summarize.

Sue Clayton
Phoenix, AZ