From:
Roy Jamron <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roy Jamron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 2004 23:33:42 -0500

Here's a summary of the replies I've gotten to my recent posts concerning
the role of commensal bacteria and its possible relationship to CD.  My
goal in posting these articles is to encourage research in this critical
and overlooked area which may lead to a new understanding of CD.  In case
you've missed some of these posts, here they are from the Archives:

04/01/25 16:33 90  Paneth Cells
http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?A2=ind0401d&L=celiac&O=D&P=6496

04/01/27 01:17 124  Paneth Cells - a B. thetaiotaomicron Probiotic?
http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?A2=ind0401d&L=celiac&O=D&P=9868

04/02/01 12:50 148  Part 1 - Bacteria, Breast-feeding, and CD
http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?A2=ind0402a&L=celiac&O=D&P=3078

04/02/01 12:52 178  Part 2 - Bacteria, Breast-feeding, and CD
http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?A2=ind0402a&L=celiac&O=D&P=2952

04/02/03 23:32 68  Bacteria Prove Again Important to Gut Development
http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?A2=ind0402a&L=celiac&O=D&P=9358

04/02/05 23:51 76  Antibiotics a Possible Trigger of Crohn's Disease
http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?A2=ind0402a&L=celiac&O=D&P=14818

----------
Re: Paneth Cells - a B. thetaiotaomicron Probiotic?

this sounds promising...if you locate it, please post the info...thanks..my
intestines need a lot of help!  Carolyn

----------
Re: Paneth Cells - a B. thetaiotaomicron Probiotic?

I don't know about that bacteria specifically, but a lot of people who make
homemade kefir report WONDERFUL results. It has about 50 different microbes
living in it, who knows what all they do, but they DO heal the gut.  And
it's cheap cheap cheap. I was spending $100/month on probiotics for the
family. Now I toss the kefir grains in some milk and next day I have kefir!
Also the kind if kefir I make (has viili in it) is not sour, it is very
thick, so I use it in baking, works very well with GF flours (the thick
polysaccharides act like xanthan gum, only better, they make the baked
goods moist and they hold together).

The writup links you sent are interesting -- thanks!  I really appreciate
the "medically centered" articles you post here.

We are into probiotics a lot because of feeding problems I had with my boy.
They have used kefir for feeding premies -- being pre-digested it doesn't
have a lot of the allergy problems plain milk does, and I'm betting that
all that bacteria helps for the gut too ...  it also helps prevent food
poisoning. Anyway, we've been using it in tube feeding for a few years now,
and he's thrived, where he didn't do well at all on that canned stuff ...

-- Heidi

----------
Re: Part 1 - Bacteria, Breast-feeding, and CD

This will be my great personal mystery that I perhaps will never solve..

Both of my daughters were exclusively breastfed (no formula, no
bottles..etc)  for well over six months. My first till ~ 10 months and my
second till about 7 months when both were introduced to sweet potatoes,
later followed by banana and avocado. Neither had any wheat till after
their first birthdays.

Yet both have Celiac and one is a dual diagnoses of Celiac and Type-1
diabetes. Even with this I still am a major supporter of breastfeeding and
work as a lay breastfeeding consoler. I just worry that mothers may get a
false sense of security ..well if I breastfeed my child will never get
disease X, Y or Z...

Cheers,

Jenny
Mom to Mackenzie 8yrs dx Celiac 11/03 & Fiona 3yrs dx Type-1 diabetes
8/22/01 and Celiac 10/03

----------
Re: Part 1 - Bacteria, Breast-feeding, and CD

hmm, don't think I'll mention this to my 80 year old mom - she still sort
of "blames" me for wrecking the thrill of having a "normal" first-born.  I
was anything but normal in terms of diaper use!

However, it is useful information to pass along to my expectant daughter-in-
law, for whom breast feeding is in the "plans".

Helen

---------
RE: Part 1 - Bacteria, Breast-feeding, and CD

this is fascinating information. Thank you for putting it together.
I have Crohn's disease. There are all the same things as CD:
- association with Crohns with reduced breast feeding
and then the huge role of bacteria
- antibiotics work
- probiotics work
abnormal gut flora
- there are the same amount of bacteria, simply many fewer types of bacteria

I for one am a huge believer in bacteria as perpetuating the inflammation
in crohn's. If you do more reasearch or summaries in this area, please do
include me.

thanks again for the information
cathy

----------
RE: Antibiotics a Possible Trigger of Crohn's Disease

PLEASE keep posting this stuff on the Listserve!!!  It is really helpful
and adding lots of valuable information for me.  I was misdiagnosed years
ago with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and have now been diagnosed with Celiac
Disease a year ago.  I have been GF for over a year and am not convinced
that there isn't another "root" to this problem such as the intestinal
flora being interrupted with all sorts of things, such as yeast, and/or
parasites etc.  Cleansing those things and then rebuilding the intestinal
flora is something that I'm just at the beginning stages of researching and
trying for myself.  Of course, the immune system is inside our intestines,
so that explains illness!  I took antibiotics for years and am now doing
all I can to heal myself naturally with herbs/vitamins.  Life has changed
drastically!!!

It's so interesting to me that people who go GF STILL end up with other
food intolerances. Your information regarding the intestinal flora is
something I've been researching also.

Thanks for the info, it's definitely adding value for me.

Jennifer

----------
Re: Antibiotics a Possible Trigger of Crohn's Disease

I have a question. So would you say that I did something to my baby while I
breast-feed her to give her the celiac. I was not taking any antibiotics
but I was doing some alternative medicine things.

karen

[Reply: No research has yet been done to determine what the relationship of
commensal microflora to CD might possibly be.  It's not possible to say if
anything you did contributed to the onset of CD in your baby.  However,
antibiotics or drugs or herbs could possibly affect beneficial flora in
breast milk and could also be passed to the infant when breast-fed where
they could disturb the microflora in the developing gut of the infant.]

----------
Re: Antibiotics a Possible Trigger of Crohn's Disease

I missed your original post, but it's a very interesting subject to me.  I
have not heard much talk about the connection between celiac disease and
gut flora, but in my case many factors point to such a connection.

I was put on a month of broad spectrum anti-biotics for a sinus infection.
About one week later I developed generalized dermatitis, itching all over.
I still have it to this day, almost 3 years later (managed with anti-
histamines).  Soon after it started, I asked to be tested for celiac
disease and the doctor told me it was positive, although I know now he
didn't perform some of the more important tests.  Base on the evidence, it
is still very likely that I have celiac disease.  At any rate, I also
ordered an IgG food allergy panel and found I have strong responses to
about 15 very common foods, including gluten and yeast.  This suggests to
me a leaky gut, possibly caused by bacteria overgrowth as a result of anti-
biotics.  I have eliminated all offending foods for over a year now.  I
feel great on the diet, but still cannot consume refined sugars or most of
the foods without muscle tightness, itching and headaches.

I have long thought the intestinal flora could be related to the onset of
my problems.  I also support your willingness to consider that celiac
disease is not necessary entirely genetic.  The predominant medical
paradigm these days is genetics, because it  brings in the funding, but I
believe more in a nutrition paradigm myself.  Remove the things we weren't
meant to consume and consume the ones we were.

Thanks for your post.

Cheers,
       Steve

* * *